Time to start the upgrades. Exhaust questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1989 350 regular cab short bed

Shooting for 400-450hp eventually

Want a deep loud exhaust, with minimal/no popping.

Has to be bolt together as I don't have a welder.

Headers, high flow cats, x over, and duals out the back to a couple of resonator tips

Please include suggestions, links, etc. I am a novice so relying on the group for guidance.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
400-450 Crank HP or Wheel HP?
Genuine question. What does the answer to that question change about what you would suggest? I know 400 wheel is going to be more than 400 crank, but what about the exhaust would need to be different in order to accomplish that?

To answer your question, I would like 400 wheel, but that depends on what these engines will hold up to I guess.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your shooting for 450rwhp then that would suggest you need the right amount of exhaust flow for it.
IF you wanted 400 Crank HP then you could go with a smaller exhaust that doesnt cost as much.

Dual 2.5" would get you the 400 crank very easy.
Dual 3" for 450rwhp would give you room to grow.

Ive never used a bolt on exhaust so i cant help you there.
Borla XR1 mufflers are nice and loud with a good tone.
2 of them after the x pipe would be pretty sweet.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take more than exhaust. The exhaust your asking for, is premium item , are you a smog regulated state? Whether you are or are not the answer is night and day what's possible.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your shooting for 450rwhp then that would suggest you need the right amount of exhaust flow for it.
IF you wanted 400 Crank HP then you could go with a smaller exhaust that doesnt cost as much.

Dual 2.5" would get you the 400 crank very easy.
Dual 3" for 450rwhp would give you room to grow.

Ive never used a bolt on exhaust so i cant help you there.
Borla XR1 mufflers are nice and loud with a good tone.
2 of them after the x pipe would be pretty sweet.
I had read I needed dual 2.75 for the right flow, from what I've seen it's hard to find anything that big that isn't a single. I am not opposed to weld on. I could collect all the parts and then take it to a shop. I would like to do it myself though.
Take more than exhaust. The exhaust your asking for, is premium item , are you a smog regulated state? Whether you are or are not the answer is night and day what's possible.
I have a laundry list of upgrades. The exhaust is just what I am tackling first. I am in Texas so no smog. If I request classic plates I would just have safety inspection only.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I had read I needed dual 2.75 for the right flow, from what I've seen it's hard to find anything that big that isn't a single. I am not opposed to weld on. I could collect all the parts and then take it to a shop. I would like to do it myself though.

I have a laundry list of upgrades. The exhaust is just what I am tackling first. I am in Texas so no smog. If I request classic plates I would just have safety inspection only.
Actually in Texas any vehicle 25 years old or older, can run classic plates, and is exempt from the emissions testing requirements for state inspections. All that is required is the annual safety inspection, and that's eliminated in 2025. The $7.50 fee remains, but it has a different name.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Single 3.5" would be plenty of flows well.
If it were me, Id buy the material and borrow a welder and knock it out.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer stuff welded. The x pipe and all tubes coming and going from it in one piece. It's much more stable than a bunch of clamped together pieces. I have not seen kits that are wheelbase specific so, imho, the stuff is going to need fitted and trimmed, hangers, etc. Mufflers are subjective. Need to do one owns research as to what they like. I like Magnaflow ss straight-through. I bought Flowmaster x pipe kits and fitted them, bought mufflers, then just bought the tail pipes I needed on several vehicles. You're not likely to find pipes, mufflers, and tailpipes in 2.75.

Most kits I've seen run off a y-pipe, you want custom. Sometimes the only way to get that is make it, or have someone else make it for you.

Last edited: