Muffler troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72 scorpio

Reaction score
This forum has been very helpful with me and my truck. I do have a question. I have a 98 sierra with the vortec 5.7 and I went to a muffler shop to buy and have two flowmaster 40 series put on my truck with new pipe from where cats used to be to the axle. Until I can get my LS swap done im trying to get the most aggressive sound out of an almost stock motor. Here’s the problem. Sounds good enough unless you bear down on it then it starts popping like glass packs. Also I can’t see the word “flowmaster” embossed on the mufflers. Given they are flat against one another and welded where you can’t pry them apart but I had lower ranked flows before and the didn’t pop on acceleration. So i am going to get 2 1/2 exhaust no need for bigger but would the small exhaust setup on this truck have something to do with the popping or possibly I’m a victim of Chinese flowmaster knock offs since they are doing that now. Also can someone lead me in a direction of the mufflers I’m looking for? I e heard jones exhaust ,loudmouth exhaust which I heard personally on a stock mustang and That’s what I’m searching for. Sorry for the novel

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most aggressive sound, headers, 3" pipes, into high flow cats ( I run Thunderbolt Race cats) and merge the pipes to a single 3.5" tail pipe using a merge Y. What I had on my 383 when I first built it. Later added a large 8.1L replacement muffler. IMO 2.5" pipes would probably sound close to the same but my L31 had dual 3" pipes to the muffler stock. It had a little crackle on the transition into deceleration fuel cut off.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had 2 chamber flow's put on a truck I had 20+ years ago. Was F'n LOUD. But had that cackle which I can't stand. I put 4x24" tips on it, lost the cackle, but gained serious bass to the exhaust. It would set off alarms at lower RPM's. I'd do that, since it's easy, and woin't have to re-do the exhaust