Another Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
My 02 has the 14" DI/DO magnaflow. IMO it's perfect for a regularly driven truck.

The universal one not the XL, right?

The 14" universal muffler is what I've been heavily leaning towards. In comparison to something like a flowmaster 40 series, is it louder or quieter? Like if you rated both on a scale of 1-10 ten being the loudest

I'm trying to get a good feel for how loud (or not loud for that matter) it is

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the sound of my 40 flowmaster but dam do i hate the drone inside. My dads has a 50 flowmaster and the sound is nice and hardly any inside drone.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
The universal one not the XL, right?

The 14" universal muffler is what I've been heavily leaning towards. In comparison to something like a flowmaster 40 series, is it louder or quieter? Like if you rated both on a scale of 1-10 ten being the loudest

I'm trying to get a good feel for how loud (or not loud for that matter) it is

I'm not sure, it was part of the exhaust kit i put on the truck.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'm not sure, it was part of the exhaust kit i put on the truck.

Gotcha. I got to head to the exhaust shop and heard the 14" universal magnaflow muffler in person and I definitely like it enough to do it, so that's the plan as of now. Just gotta find out what I need to do it myself now..

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, I've been doing a LOT of reading regarding magnaflow's mufflers, and even on their smallest case size none of the reviews reported much drone at all. I was actually surprised to see that your buddy's truck has more drone than a flowmaster - reading that was a first for me. I'm very curious as to what could cause that, as it seems like your buddy's truck was an out of the ordinary example... I think you're right about removing the cats being the cause for a lot of that popping noise (I'm not a fan of it either). I did consider doing true duals for sound, but couldn't justify it financially, so I'm just looking for a different muffler to put after my Y-pipe

Do you know how the spintechs or borla's sound in terms of loudness? I know the tone of Borla's are excellent (in my opinion) but my whole goal in searching for a new muffler is to go louder, and maybe a little deeper sounding, but not to entirely overhaul the sound of the truck if that makes sense. Also, do you like the tone of the magnaflows? It seems like we both have pretty similar taste in terms of tone

Thanks for getting back to me though, I'm still pretty confused as to why the magnaflows drone more...

Maybe because of his xpipe before the muffler? I don't know why it drones more, but the cab noise is notably worse than my truck. And considering the sound deadening difference between that truck and mine, thats pretty bad.

I haven't heard a Borla or Spintech in person. But they're both highly regarded names, and I'm sure they sound good.

I've actually thought of putting Magnaflows under my truck in the past, so I'm curious as to how yours will sound.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Maybe because of his xpipe before the muffler? I don't know why it drones more, but the cab noise is notably worse than my truck. And considering the sound deadening difference between that truck and mine, thats pretty bad.

I haven't heard a Borla or Spintech in person. But they're both highly regarded names, and I'm sure they sound good.

I've actually thought of putting Magnaflows under my truck in the past, so I'm curious as to how yours will sound.

I actually just got done ordering my muffler off of summit. Went with the 14" single in dual out muffler and also ordered enough piping and clamps to get it all done on my own. We'll see how it sounds, but in most cases I've come across, the magnaflow had little to no drone, so I'm hoping I don't get as unlucky as your friend. I honestly have no idea of the x-pipe could be the cause of it. The one thing I'll have going for me is the muffler will be almost all (if not all) under the bed, so that should at least reduce interior resonance. I can deal with a little drone, just not a lot.

I may not get a chance to put on the muffler for a little while, especially with these near 0* F temperatures we've been getting by me. But when I do, I'll be sure to post up a video of how it sounds with my best description of it for you and anyone who may be following this thread or curious.