Another Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Alright, I want ya'lls opinions. I'm thinking of making my truck's exhaust louder, and I've mostly narrowed it down to Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

My personal debate is currently Flowmaster 40 or 44 series vs Magnaflow 18 inch or 14 inch

I currently run my truck with a Flowmaster Cat-back with a 70 series muffler... just not loud enough for me. I've been around Flowmasters obviously, but not too much around Magnaflows.

What do you guys think sounds better, Magnaflow or Flowmaster and why? Also specify which muffler you're referring to for reference (Ex. 40 series for Flowmaster, 18 inch for Magnaflow etc.)

To be more specific, which brand seems to have a better sound/tone in your opinion, which have you observed to have less drone? Does one sound cheaper?

Does one brand seem to sound more raspy or one more crackly?

And a final question: Which would you put on my truck if it was yours? The more specific the better

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's all up to personal opinion. I run Flowmaster 40 series mufflers in my '77 (and have on numerous other trucks) and love the sound. The down side is it WILL produce drone inside the truck.

I also have Magnaflow on my '98 (14" version) and 2007 burb (18" version). Both sound good when you hear them outside of the vehicle. Limited drone inside which makes it easier to hold conversation. I mainly went Magnaflow on the 98 and 07 because my kids ride in them often and I didn't want either one too loud on a daily basis. They LOVE the '77, though, because of the roar :lol: They only get to go for rides a couple times a month, though, so it's not a big deal. :D

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
It's all up to personal opinion. I run Flowmaster 40 series mufflers in my '77 (and have on numerous other trucks) and love the sound. The down side is it WILL produce drone inside the truck.

I also have Magnaflow on my '98 (14" version) and 2007 burb (18" version). Both sound good when you hear them outside of the vehicle. Limited drone inside which makes it easier to hold conversation. I mainly went Magnaflow on the 98 and 07 because my kids ride in them often and I didn't want either one too loud on a daily basis. They LOVE the '77, though, because of the roar :lol: They only get to go for rides a couple times a month, though, so it's not a big deal. :D

Thanks for some feedback, quick question: I'm going to assume the 40 series is louder than Magnaflow's 14" and 18" mufflers, but how much louder is it really? Are the magnaflows significantly quieter than the 40 series, or just a little bit? I'm going for loud - certainly noticeably loud, but it is a daily driver, so keeping drone to a minimum is a goal.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I had flowmaster 40 series 3" dual 2.5" out on my 79 and on my 88, both smallblocks. They are tinny sounding to me, not bad or good IMO. I put a Magnaflow true dual stainless kit from a silverado SS on my 02 and it's got a very nice tone, not loud at highway but opens up nicely when you get on it. Because of this I decided to go with a pair of 3" 18" long Magnaflow XL mufflers on the 88 when I built the 454 for it. They sound super angry and aggressive. At idle it's loud, when you lay into it it's loud, and surprisingly they are quiet on the highway for what they are (tires are louder). I actually wish they were slightly quieter TBH.

Overall, i would go magnaflow anything over flowmaster at this point, hands down.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Dual 2 1/4" off the manifolds, into a dual in, dual out, 14" magnaflow. Dual 2 1/4" straight out the back.

http://youtu.be/Sffhxa7XNJA

I really had my foot into it here. Probably more than I should have but I wanted that Ford to get covered, lol.
It's loud with the windows down. Not so bad in the truck, little bit of drone at certain RPMs. Really quiet on highway.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
10 series with cats. Awesome sound. Without cats is a little more raspy. I'm going with a cherry bomb extreme on my blazer. It's almost the same thing, at half the cost. Has a loud angry tone. I'm not a fan of 40s anymore and most magnaflow sound a bit more higher pitched and quieter than others to me. Kind of like a quieter glasspack.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like a Magnaflow with a cat, they have a nice sound, but to me one without a cat sounds just like a glasspack, I have had three different lengths and everyone of them does it, I actually have a Tahoe right now with a SI SO 3in. 18 in. long Magnaflow that I am about to remove because of the nasty glasspack sound. That's just my opinion. I don't run cats on anything so for me they just don't work out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for some feedback, quick question: I'm going to assume the 40 series is louder than Magnaflow's 14" and 18" mufflers, but how much louder is it really? Are the magnaflows significantly quieter than the 40 series, or just a little bit? I'm going for loud - certainly noticeably loud, but it is a daily driver, so keeping drone to a minimum is a goal.
In my experience the flowmaster 40 series is louder than any magnaflow I've ever had