BW 4401 vs NP 261HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just thought I'd run this by ya'll with possibly more wisdom than I on the subject. I don't know transfer cases all that well, as far as comparisons.

Was missing the rear driveshaft for my truck when I started the project. I happened across a 2 piece shaft out of a 97 2500 ext cab. Luck would have it
that while I was an idiot and spaced out it was a slip yoke, it was the correct one for the NP 261HD on the back of my LS swap 4L80E. So I just ran with it.

Not really a big problem, but I'm not happy with how deep the slip yoke on the front shaft sets. It has a little more slop than I'd like, and thinking about
having the front shaft extended by an inch if I keep the 261HD. I used the solid front shaft out of the NBS.

Then I got to thinking, if I am going to have a driveshaft modified, I could stick the BW 4401 in, and eliminate the rear slip yoke.
With the OBS front shaft eliminating the slip yoke there too.

The BW 4401's have that electric clutch, which if you're reading this you probably already know that, but I admittedly don't have a definitive answer on how it works yet.
Anyone know if the 4401 would be stronger? The following questions might be irrelevant if its a pile compared to the 261HD. But it certainly looks beefier. They both have a 1.5 chain.

Are parts that much harder to find? Ive found some info on here how the clutch works, one says its de-energized when in 4x4, but that seems weird.
My 261HD is kind of hard to get into low, while I'm sure that's because it wasn't treated nice in its past life, but I wonder if the clutch design smooths things out.

Is there any way to find what PTO would fit on these 4401's? That info seems about like searching for a needle in a haystack also.

I'd also have to eventually blow the 261HD apart anyhow, to put a pump plate in before it rubs a hole in itself. Just shaking my head at that nonsense.

Trans had nice pink fluid. Shame the bellhousing decided to delete itself. The weight of the big block, and beating around in farm fields took its toll I suppose. There was only one bolt, and three converter bolts holding this thing together when the past fellow quit driving it, lol. (Another reason for LS.)

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm unaware of the BW cases using an electric clutch, so subbed to learn more about that.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm unaware of the BW cases using an electric clutch, so subbed to learn more about that.

Well, its pretty crickets. But I'll share what Ive gathered so far. (Possibly half wrong.)

Early 3500's used the BW 1356, which didn't have one. Later was the 4401.
The BW 4470 is the same as a 4401, except it has a 1" center plate, that carries the oil pump. They are floating in the 1356, and 4401.

I found this video. Timestamped it for assembly post center plate, clutch assembly. My parts diagram almost looks slightly different, but its supposed to be correct.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You can see it doesn't look like it will spin the front output unless the coil/clutch is energized. But I still haven't quite wrapped my brain around why it was done, and why it looks like the clutch coil housing is floating with the fork, separate from the coil, that's attached to the rear housing.

There is this thread from here, with some corresponding info.

I'll probably end up swapping it over. A fixed yoke should be stronger, aside from just outright shaft differences in diameter. Which isn't the case here. Plus they tend to be less leaky, due to being better supported.

Maybe this nonsense will help someone in the future.

If I get bored enough may open the 4401 up and give it an overhaul before putting it in. I have another 4L80E with a good case, but bad internals. Binge out on some of Nicks transmission videos, and rebuild it with the good internals from that broken one, put it in with the 4401. Sorting out a rear driveshaft is going to be annoying.

Also attaching some info I found. The one says de-energized, but that's what I was talking about not making sense. Wiring diagram also partially beyond my small brain, unless I have things infront of me.

Still no info on what PTO's fit.

Attachments

• 20221203_074651.jpg
    20221203_074651.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 1
  • bw4401_l.jpg
    bw4401_l.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0789.png
    IMG_0789.png
    870.3 KB · Views: 1