Non-slip yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
Alright so I put in a rebuilt NP241C in my 1990 K1500 and for whatever reason the slip yoke will not slip onto the rear output shaft. They are both 32 spline male and female (not aure if there were ever any that weren’t, but putting it out there just in case). The slip yoke looks fine, but has light corrosion inside. I’ve tried using a brush to get some of that corrosion off and I’ve added aome grease, but it just won’t slide on. You have to beat it to get it on even a little bit and I’m not really keen on beating something on that is supposed to slip back and forth. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might have some gunk in the splines. Try to clean it inside and out, maybe spray it with some lube or something. Usually they will slip right in....

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are both 32 spline male and female

Are those splines "keyed" in any way, e.g., like those on a steering gear input shaft so that the female only fits in one specific orientation with the male?

I wouldn't suppose they are, I don't see the need, but...

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Measure the inner diameter of the slip yoke (at the major depth ouf the spline)and compare it to the measured out side diameter of the out put shaft.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
Are those splines "keyed" in any way, e.g., like those on a steering gear input shaft so that the female only fits in one specific orientation with the male?

I wouldn't suppose they are, I don't see the need, but...
The slip yoke has the missing spline, but the tcase output shaft is symmetrical all around.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
Measure the inner diameter of the slip yoke (at the major depth ouf the spline)and compare it to the measured out side diameter of the out put shaft.
Got busy over the week and just now had a chance to get back at it. I measured the ID of the slip yoke and the OD of the output shaft and they look fine. I’m looking now and I see the output shaft has some surface corrosion. No way to scrub that off since the case is mounted on the truck. The slip yoke wil slide on maybe a quarter or half inch and mesh fine with the splines, but it just doesn’t wanna slip in further unless I hammer the rear of the driveshaft. Is this an acceptable method to get it in or am I just missing something here? Thanks.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Get your self a Stainless Steel tooth brush and try cleaning the internal splines with it. You could also try filling the spline bore with RUST 911 or Evaporust to see if it wiil help clean out any corrision.
Hammering the yoke on is a bad idea.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
Get your self a Stainless Steel tooth brush and try cleaning the internal splines with it. You could also try filling the spline bore with RUST 911 or Evaporust to see if it wiil help clean out any corrision.
Hammering the yoke on is a bad idea.
It seeks like much of the corrosion is on the transfercase output shaft. I’ve scrubbed the slip yoke pretty well and it looks good so it must not be that. Wondering if it slipping while the shaft moves back and forth when driving would just bust the surface corrosion. Getting this slip yoke on is the last thing I have to do to get this rig moving under its own power.