Another Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The difference in the two is very simple. Flow master, has baffles inside it to redirect exhaust flow ( this is restrictive). Magna flow is a free flowing exhaust ( no restrictions ). So if you want performance then you want Magna Flow. If you just want sound, and you like the way it sounds, then Flow Master. I am not saying that flow master sounds better, that is a matter of what you like best. An engine is just like an air compressor. The more air that goes in, the more that needs to get out, and this = power, as the air is mixed with fuel before it gets inside the cylinders. I have old school glass packs on my truck, because there are cheep, and are free flowing. LOL I like performance, but that's just me.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All that is correct but any performance gains or loses will be pretty minimal on a stock motor so it doesn't really matter IMO the only thing that matters what sound you're going after

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would be surprised how much difference it can make at WOT. I have been using free flowing exhaust for a long time and it does make a big difference, but like I said I like performance.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Here is a video to give you an idea what a slightly modified 454 with true dual 18" magnaflows sounds like.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sounds real good.. How's the drone with that? I'd imagine you must have some?

10 series with cats. Awesome sound. Without cats is a little more raspy. I'm going with a cherry bomb extreme on my blazer. It's almost the same thing, at half the cost. Has a loud angry tone. I'm not a fan of 40s anymore and most magnaflow sound a bit more higher pitched and quieter than others to me. Kind of like a quieter glasspack.

Hahah all my neighbors will hate me with a ten series... I'm definitely not gonna like the drone on highways as well. The loudest I'd go is the 40 series, and I'm hesitant on that...

I like a Magnaflow with a cat, they have a nice sound, but to me one without a cat sounds just like a glasspack, I have had three different lengths and everyone of them does it, I actually have a Tahoe right now with a SI SO 3in. 18 in. long Magnaflow that I am about to remove because of the nasty glasspack sound. That's just my opinion. I don't run cats on anything so for me they just don't work out.

I'll definitely be running it with cats - I'd never get away with no cats in New Jersey. Since I'm keeping cats, would you personally run a magnaflow or a flowmaster? Or neither
Forgot to mention no cats on mine. Its an obnoxious sound, I probably won't be going with the same muffler again. It isn't quite the sound I like.

I can see what you mean about not liking the sound (no offense, haha). Maybe it does have something to do with there being no cats, that doesn't sound like most magnaflows I've heard

In my experience the flowmaster 40 series is louder than any magnaflow I've ever had

Gotcha, by a lot? I'm looking for something close to the loudness of the 40 series, I just don't want the drone. And a little quieter than a 40 series wouldn't hurt... hoping the 14" magnaflow fits this bill...?

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
You would be surprised how much difference it can make at WOT. I have been using free flowing exhaust for a long time and it does make a big difference, but like I said I like performance.

I agree about the performance thing, but my truck isn't aimed at performance. I'm looking for sound first and then performance is an added bonus

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In that case, it is just what sounds best to you. What I think sounds good, may or may not be what you like. A large long pipe will echo sound, and give a deep tone, but even that is all about what you like.
I agree about the performance thing, but my truck isn't aimed at performance. I'm looking for sound first and then performance is an added bonus

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Borla is a grate (free flowing )system, and yes it sounds grate. I did a lot of research before I did my cheepo glass packs.
There's a video on here somewhere, can't remember who.. glfirefighter or something? Has a borla muffler from what I remember, and it sounded great in the video.