You gotta see this....383 timing chain cover....hole!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Yep. I was one of those stealership mechanics many years ago. I quit working for stealerships right around the time the first Vortecs came out.
I got tired of them ripping people off. Especially women. Not just repairs, but selling cars also.
I am much happier working for independent shops. The pay isn't the same, but that's fine for me. Money never drove my life.
I get by just fine.

I'm definitely nixing the idea of a crate motor. I'll rebuild/stroke it myself when the time comes.
It's usually cheaper also.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Yep. I was one of those stealership mechanics many years ago. I quit working for stealerships right around the time the first Vortecs came out.
I got tired of them ripping people off. Especially women. Not just repairs, but selling cars also.
I am much happier working for independent shops. The pay isn't the same, but that's fine for me. Money never drove my life.
I get by just fine.

I'm definitely nixing the idea of a crate motor. I'll rebuild/stroke it myself when the time comes.
It's usually cheaper also.

definitely cheaper and you can use better parts as well.

Wardi

Reaction score
you paid $10k for the motor???

$10K installed. The engine was $5K ($5,800 now), and I had them add the aluminum rockers, they were $375, and nice factory valve covers that were $170. There was about another $1K of various parts, secondary ignition wires, replaced upper and lower radiator hoses, new water pump, etc. etc. So total parts was about $6,500. Labor was about $3K, and taxes $600. And they/he had to transfer a lot of parts from the old engine, intake manifold, headers, alternator, power steering pump etc. etc. The tech I had was really good and pointed out a lot of other stuff that I did later myself. I just thought he was honest and helpful. I didn't mind paying him and actually tipped him cash pretty good. But he's gone now. And this is LA - not much cheap here. Looked like the labor was about $121/hour....26 hours. Anyway, definitely cheaper ways to go. But I think the warranty was worth it.......this time! But now I'm on by own. The work they just did has a 1 year warranty, but that's just on the timing chain work. The warranty on everything else is done. Drove it around today - definitely felt better/stronger.

But the financial logic of spending $10K on a vehicle that regularly sells now for under $6K.......is flawed to many, including my wife......but I get it!!

Last edited: