xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Exactly! And nothing worse than someone scratching or dinging your new paint job. It hurts!
Yup and the scratcher might get a smack upside the head too..... don't mess with Texas!
I am a bit anxious about us driving the Burb....after it cost as much as we paid for the truck to begin with, to put it back right. Now we only had to pay $650 plus use my "spare" bumper, Allstate paid the other $2500, but the next dope might not have good insurance. Many in Houston area don't....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to rebuild the joint? I think I decided to chunk mine.
No, I'd already chopped the shaft in two with the intention of replacing it with a Jeep XJ joint. Then I discovered the 3500s have a unique top piece. Now I'm considering if I want to attempt welding the top piece onto the Jeep joint. The correct replacement shaft is $250. Ugh. Maybe I'll just keep my eyes open at Pull-A-Part for a rebuildable shaft.

Do you have the correct backup washers for your window regulator rivets? Pop rivets without backup washers are about as temporary as clecos.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I'd already chopped the shaft in two with the intention of replacing it with a Jeep XJ joint. Then I discovered the 3500s have a unique top piece. Now I'm considering if I want to attempt welding the top piece onto the Jeep joint. The correct replacement shaft is $250. Ugh. Maybe I'll just keep my eyes open at Pull-A-Part for a rebuildable shaft.

Do you have the correct backup washers for your window regulator rivets? Pop rivets without backup washers are about as temporary as clecos.
No, no backup washers. These are the rivets GM sells for the window regulators. They are dome rivets. I mean, if it gets loose over time, I can remove it and replace with the tri-grip. I don't see it happening. We'll see though.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The striker nuts were all rusted, but with elbow grease, I refurbished them.

You must be registered for see images attach

GMPartsGiant had them for a decent price, but they would have tacked on a Vintage Parts fee to the total. I think that's ridiculous. I'll try not to pay that if I can avoid it.

Also got one of the strikers in. Three more on the way.

I also ordered the striker washer ("spacers") which will be here next week.

Got the carrier bearing in. It came with a slinger, but I'm not going to replace that. I'll just try and clean the slinger already on the shaft as much as it needs to be cleaned. Otherwise, not messing with it. (Well, maybe.)

I still need to clean up the driveshaft with emery cloth.

Did install another U-joint on another one of the slip yokes last night.

This truck has five U-joints and three slip yokes. I still need to order one more slip yoke and the GM slip yoke grease.

I have another Kent-Moore tool on the way tomorrow. It's the transmission support fixture for the 4L80-E. Kinda want to start working on the transmission now. But I know that's going to put my other work on hold by taking up the work bench.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on front driveshaft - the one with plastic-injected U-joint retainers. Finally got around to buying a hose for propane tank. Heated the joint. Melted plastic. Hit it with PB Blaster. Good to go.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just arrived via UPS.

Got a good deal on it. Found someone who listed it on Facebook Marketplace three years ago. Decided to contact the seller to see if it was still available, and it was. There was a sad history behind it, unfortunately. Will give it a good home and pass it on to my son one day.