xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Craft Customs
(281) 894-0395

When I ordered, I specified that I wanted a leather re-wrap to OEM/factory appearance.

I shipped them my stock steering wheel, and they shipped it back after completing the job.
Thanks for the info.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That steering wheel looks great!

Tagging @Chilledspode so he sees this. I know he has a non-airbag wheel he was wanting to get redone, but not sure if he's started that project yet.
Thanks for the headsup ! My wheel is still holding up but a wrap is in it's future...
Working my way through this thread :)

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaned the front axle. Going to get a couple in. lb. dial torque wrenches before I start rebuilding it so I can measure the pinion torque to turn before I disassemble it. I did remove the case bushings in the meantime.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also removed all bushings from the upper and lower control arms. Next, going to sand/grind them down to bare metal, then re-install bushings, and then prime and paint. I think that's the best method. If I paint before installing bushings, I'll end up marring the paint when installing the bushings. (Still have to remove the upper control arm ball joints.)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be tempted to POR-15 those parts(a-arms), then apply paint, which it recommends.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, don't you also want to measure backlash before teardown? I've watched a few of those teardown and rebuild videos and it's a bit tricky to do it. Unlike a solid axle differential, the ring gear is not exposed after the case is put back together.

Or, I'm assuming you are going to install new ring & pinion gears? Maybe not the case? What gears do you have?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What'd you clean that diff with? It looks like new.
Yeah it looks ok. Honestly didn't do that good of a job as was rushed for time. But I sprayed it with Zep Purple and let it soak for only a couple minutes (since Zep Purple is not friends with aluminum). Then blasted it with a pressure washer.