xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP, don't you also want to measure backlash before teardown? I've watched a few of those teardown and rebuild videos and it's a bit tricky to do it. Unlike a solid axle differential, the ring gear is not exposed after the case is put back together.

Or, I'm assuming you are going to install new ring & pinion gears? Maybe not the case? What gears do you have?
I'll have to read up on the backlash. Thanks for that tidbit. Going to keep the gears but will replace the bearings on the differential case and also pinion shaft.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent video. Still watching it (at 17:24 so far). I noticed that he didn't remove the rubber case bushings yet. I wonder if he will get to them before the video is over.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...I skipped thru it. Did he mention anything backlash? If not, must have been elsewhere so saw that.

I like that channel. Very good infomation an no BS drama or heavy metal background music overpowering what dude is saying...:)

I think that keeping the shims and new bearings and races your backlash should be okay. Same for wear pattern. Only have to worry about preload.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I skipped thru it. Did he mention anything backlash? If not, must have been elsewhere so saw that.

I like that channel. Very good infomation an no BS drama or heavy metal background music overpowering what dude is saying...:)

I think that keeping the shims and new bearings and races your backlash should be okay. Same for wear pattern. Only have to worry about preload.
I don't see that he measured anything before disassembly. And he never actually used a dial torque wrench to measure torque to turn. He's old school basically. I wouldn't trust him to do my own differential, but I still learned things watching the video. Good stuff.