xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I wanted a project truck. As I mentioned a way back, I wanted a truck with a straight frame and decent body. Everything else I was not concerned with because it was getting replaced or rebuilt. I enjoy working on my vehicles.

Would be even better if I had a commercial shop with a lift and a paint booth. Maybe one day.

The great thing about a complete rebuild is you know the vehicle will be rebuilt properly, and you become well acquainted with the vehicle in the process, top to bottom, front to back. It's a feeling of comfort and satisfaction.
Yes indeed, and you just might've learned some new skills too!
I was quite pleased when we made that trip to Lafayette, Louisiana and back, after I rebuilt the front brakes and UBJs. I was confident in my work and in the truck.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, gotcha...just re-read your first post and that's what you stated.

Nevermind me and carry on!

Are you going to rebuild your transmission at the same time you drop in your engine?
Yeah, rebuilding trans, transfer case, and front diff. Replacing all seals and bearings. Prob transmission bushings too it I feel comfortable enough.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it has been discussed before, but I seem to recall someone here saying the 383 is not a good option for a heavy duty truck (certainly, GM didn't think so, otherwise they would of dropped them in the 2500/3500s series for sure.)

I think, in general, stroking an engine (any engine) will reduce the life of the block. I asked about this when I dropped a block at the machine shop recently and the guy said the exact same thing.

It probably depends how OP intends to use his truck. If a light duty use vehicle with "occasional" heavier work such as an RV towing (383) vs something that's more on par to, or equivalent to a heavy duty workhorse (LQ4). Something to consider.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just some parts I will be tossing out soon. If you live in Houston, you're more than welcome to come grab them.

both torsion bars (passenger, driver)
rear brake drums (13" x 2.5") (driver, passenger)
front brake calipers (driver, passenger)
power steering steering gear box
power steering pump (non-hydroboost)
front brake disc/hub assemblies (driver, passenger)

All used. Drums and discs probably have enough "meat" on them for a couple turns on a brake lathe, but I am not certain.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in the drums and calipers. If my truck was a K I could use the rotors, but it's 2wd. Maybe the steering gear too if no one else needs it? Looking for spares but I'm not sure I don't need calipers (till I get to work on the crew cab and see what it needs). You'll be available tomorrow?
Thanks again!

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in the drums and calipers. If my truck was a K I could use the rotors, but it's 2wd. Maybe the steering gear too if no one else needs it? Looking for spares but I'm not sure I don't need calipers (till I get to work on the crew cab and see what it needs). You'll be available tomorrow?
Thanks again!
Yeah, feel free to swing by and grab whatever you need from the pile (inc. alternator and battery).

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The steering wheel arrived today. I am satisfied with the end product.

You must be registered for see images attach

Very nice. Where, or who, did you order it from?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Where, or who, did you order it from?
Craft Customs
(281) 894-0395

When I ordered, I specified that I wanted a leather re-wrap to OEM/factory appearance.

I shipped them my stock steering wheel, and they shipped it back after completing the job.