XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Why would you recommend aluminum over steel?

to some degree aluminum dampens more than steel but honestly i dont think itd matter much, at work all our driveline adapters and such we make are made form 6061 aluminum. as i think about things i always think to make them out of aluminum unless theres some dire stress and welding or something that requires steel.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
to some degree aluminum dampens more than steel but honestly i dont think itd matter much, at work all our driveline adapters and such we make are made form 6061 aluminum. as i think about things i always think to make them out of aluminum unless theres some dire stress and welding or something that requires steel.

Makes sense.

I have a '99 Tahoe and I've been considering hacking off the Rag Joint and simply installing the Flaming River U-Joint # FR1746DD.

However, I have a serious concern using just set screws when you add in larger tires and offroad abuse. So I've been thinking of through bolting two of the holes on the u-joint that are across from one another and then using the last hole in the u-joint with the original set screw.

Has anyone held one of these and can verify/deny if two of the holes are opposite each other?

Also, does this seem like a good idea or did I miss something?

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a failure or any other safety issue by using a used shaft? I can get one at the yard for around $8 and my flex joint close to the firewall is loose and sloppy and the rag joint isn't far behind and I am trying to fix this truck up on a budget if I can. My truck is 1994 GMC RCSS 4x4 with a non-tilt column if that matters.

Last edited:

BiGUgly

Reaction score
I've called all around for one of these and can't seem to find one anywhere

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case anyone was iffy about the Borgeson double universal shaft, I got a response from them.

From the guys at Borgeson:

Gil Evans <[email protected]>
9:24 AM (2 hours ago)
to me

If I remember correctly, it was a liability concern regarding the airbags.

Gil Evans

Borgeson Universal Company
91 Technology Park Drive
Torrington, CT 06790 USA
(860)482-8283
(860)496-9320 FAX
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/BorgesonUniversalCompany

Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 2:36 PM
To: Gil Evans
Subject: Steering shaft question

Hey Borgeson,

There has been much debate as to why you guys don't support the 97-98 Chevrolet C/K trucks. There's a thread on GMT400 forums about it. Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got around to do the mod, now i need to adjust my steering box, it has slop.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD