XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
Yup, put one in my '93 the other day and tightened it right up. Just gotta adjust my box and get an alignment and I'll be set!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Just did this mod. Upper portion of shaft did NOT want to go on my steering column (portion coming from firewall) Took a lot of persuasion. Cleaned up everything as best I could before I attempted.

Ended up having to lightly file pretty well everything that was going to come in contact with each other.

I also used different hardware.. none came with the shaft, and factory steering shaft hardware was too large.
Also didn't have to grind a small groove....

HOWEVER.. Just shakin the wheel in the shop, truck off parked, I noticed a massive decline in slop. Success. :)

Edit: Tighter feel while cornering, less wandering at highway speeds.
Still quite a bit of steering wheel play.

Overall it went from a 3/10 on steering to 6/10.. Which is a welcome improvement anytime, lol

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Finally installed the shaft today, all I can say is DAMN!!!!! I wish I new about this years ago!!!! It almost feels like I have a rack and pinion unit now.

Again, Thank you to whom ever created this mod!!!

my_obs

Reaction score
Does anybody encounter vibrations or knocking over time with the absence of the plastic? Does it not make a difference?