Writeup: Installing 5.7 TBI headers on 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra pics, looks good.

I dont think the O2 in just one primary would hurt anything. If your worried about it move it down the collector and plug that one. They have plugs on summit for like $4....

I think I'm going to use these headers when I get the $$. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-49156FLT/

Also their y-pipe http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-49156YFLT/

Will wind up costing a little more but I think there will be less headaches. Also with the design of the headers the primarys merge earlier and the O2 is in a common area. I will still have to add one on the pass side and plug the one in the y-pipe but no big deal. Then I'm planning a SI/DO cherry bomb turbo muffler and dual tail pipes. I dont want it too loud, I'm getting old I guess. :D

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I have added the requested pictures to the original post along with a terrible sound clip.

Now that I have looked, Hezsus was right. I thought the 02 bung was in the collector, but it is clearly just further down on one of the individual header tubes. See attached pic. However, as you can see in my first post, the welded on 02 is in the collector. Not sure what ramifications that will have.
You must be registered for see images attach

Likley wont be much of a problem, It may have a slight affect on the shrt fuel trims. my guess is that it will never make much of a diference. Also the headers above look pretty good, I'd really like to see a writeup on them too

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm curious since I have never messed with the O2's yet on these trucks, are the plugs on them similar to the LS style plugs? I dont imagine GM using a bunch of different connectors honestly, that would cost too much, LOL. No biggie on the O2 bungs, get a plug & have the exhaust shop weld in after its tight in there so it cant back out later then shoot some high temp black over it. Have new O2 bungs welded into each collector & your good to go.

If they are similar & the size is the same what would stop one from using the nicer Bosch Vette O2 sensors? Thats what I upgraded to in my TA when one of my stockers took a crap. They had longer harnesses on them as well with heat shield tubing on the wires. It was long enough it reached the collectors on my longtubes & had enough extra left to need a ziptie to bunch it up. Thats why fbody guys switch to those, they are the rear vette O2 sensors so the pigtail helps reach collectors. They also are more accurate. Just a neat idea if it would work I think.

Ok, after looking it appears the plug end is different but both are 4 wire heated sensors, so in theory you could splice on the Fbody style connector in place of the stock truck connector & run the Vette sensors. I dont see any reason this wouldnt work, both run off a 4 wire OBDII system & are heated.

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Pretty much all O2 sensors are the same, the function the same, unless you dont have a heated one. basically if it fits in the hole and you can get the wiring right it will work. Many guys use a wide band O2 sensor for more accurate measurements, I believe tuning usually goes with this as well. So it should work if one were to do that.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, if your into really watching your A/F like on a boosted set-up or during a nitrous run then a wideband is a good investment. Seeing as how stock sensors are narrowband & the off the shelf A/F gauges most people run are only a light show.

I like the PLX wideband personally, they have a port to hook up to HPtuners for live data logging.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the headers above look pretty good, I'd really like to see a writeup on them too

I plan on doing one if no one else uses them first. It will probably be after the first of the year before I have the $$ for it though....

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I swear without going out right now and looking that the first set of sensors are WAY down the line, like where the exhaust turns back and runs parallel with the truck, right before the cats. Isn't that where they were stock?