Writeup: Installing 5.7 TBI headers on 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
The only problem with Welding the O2 bungs into The downpipe, like where the one for the TBI had it is that your engine is only reading the exhaust off on cylender. which is fine if your engine runs like a top, if not it is better to have them in the collectors.. unfortunately you will have to extend the pass O2 sensor for this. Also On my truck With the hooker Headers i had to beat in a little bit of the bottom of the firewall to stop rattle. Just a long punch and a bfh do it nicely. Other than that awesome install. I bet it sounds awesome too.. post a vid if you can.

My pictures are obviously sub par :evillol: the O2s are on the collectors. I'm going to get pictures this afternoon. I will also attempt a sound clip lol

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, this is definetly a must mod for me in the future. I could care less about the stupid EGR & cats. I ripped that crap outta my Trans Am as soon as I could. When the cash is available the truck will get the same.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What size are the bungs for the factory O2's? Do you have a part number or did the exhaust shop supply them?

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, any reason a pipe fitting couldn't be welded into the header?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
What size are the bungs for the factory O2's? Do you have a part number or did the exhaust shop supply them?

The exhaust shop supplied them for me, so I am not sure of the size. It only cost $2 though.

Also, any reason a pipe fitting couldn't be welded into the header?

A pipe fitting for the EGR tube? Or are you talking about welding the collectors to the exhaust pipe?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Sorry, yes I meant the EGR tube

Hezsus is right. It is possible, just keep in mind that you will need to extend or reshape the EGR tube a bit to make it fit with the longtubes. I have read online of someone doing it, but I do not remember who or where it was.

If you kept the EGR, you could also keep your rear 02's. You may have to extend the wiring though.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I have added the requested pictures to the original post along with a terrible sound clip.

The only problem with Welding the O2 bungs into The downpipe, like where the one for the TBI had it is that your engine is only reading the exhaust off on cylender. which is fine if your engine runs like a top, if not it is better to have them in the collectors.. unfortunately you will have to extend the pass O2 sensor for this. Also On my truck With the hooker Headers i had to beat in a little bit of the bottom of the firewall to stop rattle. Just a long punch and a bfh do it nicely. Other than that awesome install. I bet it sounds awesome too.. post a vid if you can.

Now that I have looked, Hezsus was right. I thought the 02 bung was in the collector, but it is clearly just further down on one of the individual header tubes. See attached pic. However, as you can see in my first post, the welded on 02 is in the collector. Not sure what ramifications that will have.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: