Writeup: Installing 5.7 TBI headers on 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
A quick Google search will yield countless results about trying to use TBI headers on a Vortec engine. About half of them say it is possible and about half say it will never work.

As you may already know, Vortec shorty headers are almost double the price of TBI headers. In addition to this, you will find that there are almost no longtube Vortec headers on the market. The closest you can find are mid length headers, and they are a small fortune as well.

However, for those who have a 96-98 Vortec 350, still want the performance of longtubes, but have a limited budget, there IS hope!

Before we begin, you should familiarize yourself with the differences between the TBI and Vortec engines. Obviously, the headers and fuel injection systems are different. We are only concerned about the exhaust differences though. The primary difference is that TBI engines have an internal EGR valve and utilize some sort of SMOG pump. The Vortec engines have an external EGR tube that connects to the stock manifolds then runs back up to the intake. Other smaller differences are in the 02 sensors. The TBI engines have 1 Pre-cat 02 sensor while the Vortecs have 2.

Another thing that is handy to know is that Vortec engines have 2 sets of 02 sensors. The first set (before your cats) control your A/F ratio and are needed to have the engine function correctly. The last set (post cat) is ONLY to check the efficiency of your cats. You will need to have this set tuned out since you will not be running an EGR tube and thus will NOT meet emissions.

- Again, please note that this is NOT for a truck that will undergo emissions testing. If you are sly, you can pass a visual test. But because you are deleting the EGR tube, you will not be able to pass emissions if they actually check you.

Here is what you'll need:
* TBI longtube header of your choice. Just make sure they are not SMOG headers.
- Here is what I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2462HKR/

* EGR block off plug
- Here is what I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12556596/

* Some tune to get rid of the rear set of 02 sensors (post cat) and EGR tube. You can achieving this by either using a high end diagnostic tool to set the 02 and EGR values to '0'. However, a better route is to have a professional tuner go ahead and tune your PCM for you, and erase these values while he is in there.
- Here is the company I used: http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

* Lastly, I would take this chance to upgrade to new cats. If your truck has 100K+ miles on it, chances on your stock cats have seen better days. I know mine had. Some may chose to cut off your stock cats, but I chose to upgrade mine for a variety of reasons.
- Here is what I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-53006

* I am assuming you already have some type of aftermarket muffler. If not, you should upgrade that as well to take advantage of the increased flow of the new headers.

Now, assuming you have purchased all the parts listed above, you will need to get an 02 bung welded onto your right side header.

Here is what I mean:
You must be registered for see images attach

Above is the header from the left side. It is the only one that includes a bung for the 02 seeing as TBI engines have only 1 pre-cat 02. You will need to have an identical one welded onto the right side to accommodate for your 2 02 sensors on your Vortec.

The only other issue you will have to deal with is getting a CASE learn. If you chose to get a PCM tune like I did, when you install it, your SES light will be on. This is because your PCM and your crank position sensor will not be sync'd correctly. This will cause your PCM to read multiple misfires. To fix this, you will need someone with a GM Tech II. You will probably have to take it to your dealer, and they will probably charge you close to $100 to get the simple procedure done. It sucks, but there isn't a way around it.

And there you have it! Longtubes on your Vortech engine. Enjoy your increased performance and sound. :)

_________

Here are some before/afters of my truck:

Before:

After:

Drivers side 02

Passanger side 02 that was welded

Here is a sound clip. It came out poorly though. My turn downs kind of blasted the camera. The truck sounds much quieter than in the clip. I will try to make a better one later.
http://youtu.be/9oemTzQIdb8

Last edited:

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NIce writeup....How much of a performance gain did you feel after this exhaust install and BB tune?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
The truck hits much harder in 1st-3rd gear, especially above 2000RPM. When I gun it, it will throw me back in the seat very hard. In 4th, the differences is still there but not as much, and by the time I'm in 5th I am running 100+ mph so I don't really get on it in that gear too much. Keep in mind that I am running a manual transmission and have a 3.42 rear end... it is geared very high. With the 3.73 rear end that is more common in these trucks, the difference would be more noticeable I imagine.

Also, I spun the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear going about 25-35 mph on dry pavement yesterday. Totally on accident though :evillol:

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a great round of mods for you! Congrats.

Can you post more detailed pictures of new exhaust setup when you are able to. Thanks.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, Id like to see a shot of the headers from the engine bay like the before picture.

Did you have to extend you O2 sensor wiring?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I am going to try to get one tomorrow. Engine bay was dusty and I wanted to clean it before a pictures lol.

No, the front 02 sensors are in a similar location to stock. They are just on the headers instead of in the pipe after the headers. And I didn't even bother to install rear 02 sensors since they were tuned out.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you try to get a shot shot of where the O2 bungs are? The ones I pulled from a '95 truck is obviously from a carbed truck because it has none at all. Also, if you use a scanner instead of a tune will it also set the check engine light off?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Can you try to get a shot shot of where the O2 bungs are? The ones I pulled from a '95 truck is obviously from a carbed truck because it has none at all. Also, if you use a scanner instead of a tune will it also set the check engine light off?

Sure, I can do that. Also, if you look back to the first picture I posted of the header. That bung you see on the header is where the 02 sensor on each header. Again, I'll get pictures to clarify.

And no, I believe that you only need a crank re-learn if you swap out the PCM. If you used your stock PCM and had the values set to 0, I think you'd be good to go.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
The only problem with Welding the O2 bungs into The downpipe, like where the one for the TBI had it is that your engine is only reading the exhaust off on cylender. which is fine if your engine runs like a top, if not it is better to have them in the collectors.. unfortunately you will have to extend the pass O2 sensor for this. Also On my truck With the hooker Headers i had to beat in a little bit of the bottom of the firewall to stop rattle. Just a long punch and a bfh do it nicely. Other than that awesome install. I bet it sounds awesome too.. post a vid if you can.