Wipers will not shut off. New wiper motor/board and new Multi switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
As title says, if ignition is on, wipers are moving. Same speed on all settings until moved to high, will speed up accordingly. Replaced motor/circuit board do to it randomly stopping, everything worked great until I tried to use washer on switch (had blown fuses in past when using so was curious) Have since tried unplugging wiper motor, washer pump, unhooking battery, hook everything up, does the same thing. Thought maybe bad Mult switch, $140 later and a bunch of cussing, same result. Thinking new motor has lost park signal or it's supposed to get a signal after using washer of when to stop. Any input is appreciated, thanks. Edit 97 Chevy C3500

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The usual failure of the wiper setup in these trucks comes down to a ground problem which is almost always the typical failed solder joints at the harness socket on the board. Since you've ruled that out with a new board and no improvement, I'd start looking for ground problems in your underhood harness. The factory service manual (free downloads available in this section in the sticky post) will have the wiring diagrams to help figure those out.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have looked in OE service manual. It would help if you started with , year, make, model.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into Audio + Electronics.

if ignition is on, wipers are moving.
Wiper motor is obviously getting power and ground--even when it's not supposed to.

Same speed on all settings until moved to high, will speed up accordingly.
Possible control-switch problem.

Replaced motor/circuit board do to it randomly stopping, everything worked great until I tried to use washer on switch
Again, potential problem with control switches.

Thought maybe bad Mult switch, $140 later and a bunch of cussing, same result.
Define "Mult switch".

Do you mean the multifuntion switch inside the steering column, or the "turn signal lever" which incorporates the cruise control switches and wiper controls?

At $140, I'm thinking the switch inside the column, in which case you're likely going to have to trace wires to see if they're open/shorted/grounded

97 Chevy C3500

97 heavychevy

Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into Audio + Electronics.

Wiper motor is obviously getting power and ground--even when it's not supposed to.

Possible control-switch problem.

Again, potential problem with control switches.

Define "Mult switch".

Do you mean the multifuntion switch inside the steering column, or the "turn signal lever" which incorporates the cruise control switches and wiper controls?

At $140, I'm thinking the switch inside the column, in which case you're likely going to have to trace wires to see if they're open/shorted/grounded
Sorry did not see that section when I posted, it said everything under the hood...eh wiper motors under the hood lol. Calling multi switch the left stalk, wiper controls/cruise/turn signal/hazards. Did not see any rubbed wires while in column/dash. I feel like it's something to do with washer circuit just it didn't act up till I used it. Like its stuck in "washer mode" usually swipes a few times then stops..but hasn't stopped yet. Guess I'm trying to figure out what tells it I'm not using washer setting anymore?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The wiper controls are on the left stalk.

The actual switch--and the wires attached to it--are in the column.

$140 for a turn-signal lever seems unreasonably expensive.
IDK.....the one I bought for my Burb in 2018 was almost $100, and that was the "economy" model.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As title says, if ignition is on, wipers are moving. Same speed on all settings until moved to high, will speed up accordingly. Replaced motor/circuit board do to it randomly stopping, everything worked great until I tried to use washer on switch (had blown fuses in past when using so was curious)

Greetings 97 heavychevy,

The '97 FSM has a pretty detailed section on diagnosing incorrect windshield wiper operation. I've
extracted a few bits & pieces to further the troubleshooting. Given your comments above, my gut
feeling is that somehow an excessive current draw from the washer pump motor toasted something
in the pulse/timing control circuitry? (Based upon the history of the original washer motor blowing fuses?)

Thinking new motor has lost park signal or it's supposed to get a signal after using washer of when to stop.

My first question became how long do we have to wait before the motor will park/shut off after pressing
the wash button?

You must be registered for see images attach

So the 6-seconds of running after the washer button is released also comes from the
'pulse circuitry' board, instead of receiving an outboard status signal.

So the FSM has a selection of different diagnostic trouble flows based upon unique symptoms.
Here's the list:

And here's Procedure #8:

Alright. Given that you have already replaced the switch, you could assume that the left side
of the flow has already been accomplished. But at this point I'd still be willing to try the
jumper setup (as detailed in the input conditions) and see if I could get the wipers to Park.

And if the motor still runs? Well, when they say 'replace motor', it's actually the motor assembly,
including the 'pulse circuitry'. In the interest of science, the FSM does give the procedure for
swapping out the circuit board...so if you end up here, why not remove the circuit board and see if you
can locate any visual clues of what got taken out?

Who knows? Sometimes you find a toasted trace,
and a short length of 14 gauge copper wire can be
soldered in to save the day. No doubt there's others
in here who reflowed solder connections and fixed
blown traces.

If you have any extra wiper motor assemblies lying around,
possibly mix & match sub-assemblies until you get a winner?

At the very least, if you replace this assembly outright,
be sure to take the wounded motor assembly apart & take
some clear photos of what you discover before you put it
back together and turn it in as a core? (If required?)

All of the above is just a thumbnail sketch. But a more
complete answer can be found in the '97 FSM.

Hope this gave you some additional troubleshooting ideas.

Best of luck --

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The wiper controls are on the left stalk.

The actual switch--and the wires attached to it--are in the column.

$140 for a turn-signal lever seems unreasonably expensive.
Remember, OP has a 1997. Since 1995 the multifunction switch contains turn signals, wipers/washer, cruise, hazards, high/low beam switch.

Richard