Will the Gmt900 booster and master cylinder work on gmt400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, or if I'm overthinking it and the rear disc master cylinder works fine. It seems to, a lot of guys on here are doing it.
I'm going to upgrade my master cylinder and brake booster since they're both questionable. I was going to just do the GMT800 upgrade, but it's much easier to get the rear drum master cylinder for the gmt900.
Just checking to see if someone has done it before. If not, maybe I'll just roll the dice, Amazon will return anything.
Thanks in advance.
Oh, it's going on a 1996 scsb 2wd if that makes a difference.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
no on both accounts, the GMT800 master will be perfectly fine with rear drums. Just make sure you follow the proper bleeding procedure for the ABS(aka connect the scan tool to it).

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed with the GMT800 upgrade. I did the master on my 92, along with reman ACDelco calipers and redid the rear drums - WOW can you stop on a dime now. You won't get race-car response from the drums but the pedal is nice and hard and it feels safer than any of the 3 vehicles I've owned so far.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I do hate the abs, and have threatened to remove it. Due to time constraints, I'm doing the swap with the new booster. I do think I went a little far with the booster though. It wasn't painted, so I shot it with sem hot rod black.
The next brake upgrade is going to be late model Durango four wheel disc. I want to keep the truck 5x5. I've done a lot of research on it, and it seems very possible with a little help from my buddy's cnc. I realized there's probably easier ways of doing it, I like the size of the rotors, and the factory parking brake set up. I have a t-56 in the truck, so I'd really like to keep the parking brake.
Thanks again for all the help. I've been lurking around here for years, and usually I find everything with the search function. Being forced into big city traffic this weekend prompted me to fix the brakes fast.
You must be registered for see images attach

hot_rod4

Reaction score
Can you please update on the Durango rear end? Looks like it might be a good option. Looking at pics online, obliviously going to have to strip all the coil spring stuff off and weld perches and shock mounts but the one thing that was concerning was the pinion offset.

Reaction score
I'm just going to put the brakes on the 8.5". I'm going to ditch the leaf springs and go with a coil over 4 link set up with air bags when I "tow". It's been a while since I thought about doing it. I'll have to go over my notes. It seems like it needs a spacer/adapter made to correct the difference on spacing for the axels.

I'm finding out that I'm not liking the nbs master cylinder swap. It's a firm pedal on bad brakes. Oh well, it was worth a try. Putting new rotors pads and wheel bearings on it next week. I can really tell the rotors are warped now.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stupid "NBS" master cylinder "upgrade" is a disaster if the truck has Low-Drag front calipers. (JN/JB3, 5, 6 brakes. JB/JD7 and bigger don't have low-drag calipers.)

Low-drag calipers require a three-chamber master cylinder; also known as a "Quick Take-Up" master cylinder. A big-bore master cylinder is no proper substitute for the huge third chamber coupled to normal-sized primary and secondary chambers, allowing appropriate hydraulic advantage when the booster dies.

Doing ANYTHING to an 8.5" ring-gear axle is a waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm. Don't get me started on the 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe drum brakes.