Will a 96 cab fit my 91 c1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_burrows414

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal, I have a 91 gmc c1500 and it has the worst interior of them all. It's all dark red and the dash is the squared off old one with the 2 piece radio. I was thinking of just doing a dash swap, changing the carpet and headliner, and painting all the trim pieces to match but after lots of pondering threw this forum and others like it, it seems that is more headache than its actually worth. So I was wondering if I could just do an entire cab swap off of like a 96 model and everything would bolt up right? I have looked all over the web for this idea and have came up empty handed, has anyone ever done a cab swap? Would it be less of a headache than doing a dash swap? I already have a complete engine wire harness (that I bought by mistake off eBay thinking it would work on my truck) for a 96 that is brand new, so that wouldn't be an issue. Any insight is greatly appreciated, I really don't wanna fork out 500 for a cab that won't work... Thanks in advance.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
the 96 engine harness wont work with your 91 engine.

1991 style engine: (TBI 4.3L V6 pictured)
You must be registered for see images attach

1996 style engine: (Vortec 350 V8 pictured)
You must be registered for see images attach

Wiring is going to be a nightmare.

but the cab should swap over

if you have an extended cab, i would look for one with a 3rd door. 1996 was the first year.

mr_burrows414

Reaction score
The only real differences I noticed on the 96 harness was the a/c compressor and where it goes back threw the firewall on the passenger side the plugs under the dash was diffrent. everything else pretty much was the same. On the other hand, the harness was supposed to fit my 91, I waited over the 30 days to try it out and come to find out it was not for my truck. So it very could be for like a 94 model. Oh and mine is a single cab 350. I don't believe that that harness is for a vortec now that you mention it, and I really never thought about it up till now. Did they only offer the vortec in the 96 models?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
The only real differences I noticed on the 96 harness was the a/c compressor and where it goes back threw the firewall on the passenger side the plugs under the dash was diffrent. everything else pretty much was the same. On the other hand, the harness was supposed to fit my 91, I waited over the 30 days to try it out and come to find out it was not for my truck. So it very could be for like a 94 model. Oh and mine is a single cab 350. I don't believe that that harness is for a vortec now that you mention it, and I really never thought about it up till now. Did they only offer the vortec in the 96 models?
Vortec is 1996 and newer.

if i was you, i would swap to a 1995 cab, 1995 has new interior but is still tbi. could easily get a harness.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
The cab will swap over but thats a chore itself, the tbi was 88-95 vortec was 96-98(00), 95 is still tbi with the newer interior as stated but its got different cab wiring harness than a 91