Which truck to keep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Frank gets 11.85 mpg almost every tank with the Stealth manifold and a carburetor. Getting 15-18mpg would not be unheard of. My 2003 XCSB 2WD 4.8l auto got 18.75 every tank and I never even gave it a tune up!

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Ive thougtht about this but don't know anyone who has a older gmt 400 What kind of highway mileage can I get out of the 97 5.0 2wd.

Been doing tons of math...the 2800 I was gonna spend on the honda buys a lot a lot of gas...not to mention it will still need repairs.

If I could get low 20s out of the chevy I might as well throw some tires on it and ride. I can deal without the a/c until next year.

That's pretty wishful...all highway you'll probably top out around 18mpg at the highest, and that might be a reach. My '95 RCSB 2wd 5.7L motivated Sierra never bested the high 16s.

Figure 15s mixed with a good tune-up.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the intent is hauling a full size truck makes more sense. Had a Toyota a long time ago. Fun truck but not the greatest for hauling. I actually broke a leaf spring. A larger truck would be more handy if moving into a new house in the near future.
You must be registered for see images attach

ever bend a leaf spring ? Lol :(

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since their bankruptcy, GM sells more cars in China than the US. A significant portion of GM's line is now made in China.

As far a pensions, remember how many people were ticked that the government rescued the pensioners and screwed Wall Street on GM's bailout? GM's shareholders were hoping to ditch the pension and let those people live in poverty - even though the shareholders were the people who enabled every CEO from Roger Smith to Rick Wagoner to rob from the pension fund while the company went belly up.

Claiming that a car company is one nationality or another is terribly outdated. In the '80s the whole industry changed, and now every car company is a multi-national assembler of globally sourced parts. The last company to change was probably Nissan, which was still using the keiretsu model in the late '90s when they were half a billion dollars in debt and got bought out by Renault. Look at platform sharing - the Mazda Miata chassis is also sold as the Fiat 124 Spider, with a Fiat engine. The new Toyota Supra chassis is actually a BMW Z4. Note that these companies aren't even in the same corporate families. If one manufacturer comes up with a successful chassis, others buy it. If one comes up with a good engine, others buy it.

Use your preferred vehicle for what it is. If the Toyota makes more sense, keep it. If Grandpa's truck makes more sense, keep it. If Grandpa's truck has sentimental value, then weigh that against its usefulness.
Rick Wagoner's name is like gravel through my eyes, brain, etc when I see it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

And that’s what window sticker said. IF you got 15-16 you’d be doing great.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also since we are all kinda dogpiling opinions here, Im going to make a harsh observation toward the OP.

You have a 2020 GRAND cherokee
and a tacoma
and a GM truck

Do you have other vehicles? Why are you so adamant about gas prices? Honestly, I dont even know how you could have a 2020 GRAND cherokee which you presumably have a loan payment for and the question is which truck to axe...

Not to be debbie downer but that FCA piece of **** is not ever going to be more valuable, with right now being a very special time with regards to market costs etc.

Id say DUMP the FCA junk, maybe for a very good amount (relative to what you paid, how much you used it) and then you have a big stack of cash. Need a better DD? Get a 90s-2000s gm car with a 3.8 and use throttle discipline or get a 2004 toyota camry. lol.

That grand cherokee had to be a huge sticker price. my gmas cherokee cost almost what my park avenue(in todays $) and its a well optioned ultra.. lol. AnD HER CAR HAS LIKE NOTHING for features!!! And its not even the grand. The cult of living in huge debt related to low quality construction is dangerous on those things.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cherokee is my wifes and we only owe 8k on it. It's our one good family vehicle.

I actually have no other debt besides that. Trying to build a house and pay cash in full.

I drive 90 miles per day...so gas prices are a thing for me.

Did find some 15 rally wheels with good tires for 400. gonna grab those and run the truck.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cherokee is my wifes and we only owe 8k on it. It's our one good family vehicle.

I actually have no other debt besides that. Trying to build a house and pay cash in full.

I drive 90 miles per day...so gas prices are a thing for me.

Did find some 15 rally wheels with good tires for 400. gonna grab those and run the truck.
Around here, saving up cash to buy a house, would take a very long time.