Which truck to keep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So...
truck 1
99 Tacoma 341,000 miles 2.7 4cyl 5 speed 4x4
Truck is great..ac heat all work and 4wd is a plus...extended cab so not much room for passenger. Paint sucks but it's just a little 4wd.

truck 2
My grandad left me a 97 Silverado. 5.0 2wd extended cab...some sentimental value but it was just his.
No a/c runs great but needs a lot of odds and ends
a/c, door actuator, windshield, headliner, tires, brakes. Just did new injectors and upper and lower intake gaskets

Just need to keep a truck to haul stuff around and a second vehicle

Reason for selling one and were having our second child and stockpiling cash. Also trying to get wifes 2020 grand cherokee paid off so we can start building our house.

Alos gas is insane and founda 97 accord to save on gas I drive 90 miles a day.

I think the silverado would actually be better on gas than the tacoma

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're on a GMT400 board.... What do you think we're gonna say?:biggun:

Tacoma is probably a better truck if you don't need a full size, don't know where you live so can't know if you need a 4wd or if salt is a problem, don't know the mileage or trans in the 400 so can't speak to issues with that....

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'd keep the GM, it was your grandfather's and he left it to YOU. He could've sold it and let it go with his estate but again, he left it to you. My dad has left me several of his cars, and I'm not selling any of them. I'd have been thrilled if my grandfather left me a car. A '99 Tacoma is just a Japanese toaster with wheels to me.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the intent is hauling a full size truck makes more sense. Had a Toyota a long time ago. Fun truck but not the greatest for hauling. I actually broke a leaf spring. A larger truck would be more handy if moving into a new house in the near future.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Keep your Gramp's truck. A full size GM is a better suit for your needs and will probably be cheaper in the long run. Slowly fix the problems as you get the time and money and keep using it for truck stuff in the mean time.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I like GMT400's and Toyotas(I own a 1st gen Tacoma, 2nd gen Tacoma, and a 1st gen Tundra).

Pick the one that makes you happiest and sell the other. Sounds like the C1500 needs some work, so take that into consideration.

A '99 Tacoma is just a Japanese toaster with wheels to me.

Super reliable, easy to work on, and they are well put together. For the job they were made to do, they do it quite well. I daily drove a 2001 TRD Pre-Runner extended cab until my son needed a pickup, that was one of the best DD's I've ever had. My current DD is a 2003 Tundra, it's a touch bigger but still a 7/8's scale 1/2 ton...the interior quality is far better than any GM product of the era. The pickup has 213k miles on it and the interior is tighter than my 110k K2500 SLT Suburban (that has all new weatherstripping and has lived a VERY pampered life).

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd keep the GM, it was your grandfather's and he left it to YOU. He could've sold it and let it go with his estate but again, he left it to you. My dad has left me several of his cars, and I'm not selling any of them. I'd have been thrilled if my grandfather left me a car. A '99 Tacoma is just a Japanese toaster with wheels to me.

Im really thinking of the chevy... I never got to keep any of my dads cars.

We live in Alabama so really don't NEED 4wd. If I need a 4wd around the house I'll just use the tractor.

The toyota has been great...but with kids the chevy there will be more room.

A/c is actually last on my list.

Door is easy fix.
Wind shield is cheap also so would brakes be.

I would do a drop and old really wheels and tires and enjoy it. ONE DAY in the far future repaint it and restore it completely.