which one is my MAF sensor? Pics included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamkeniff

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is your ac on when you turn? check your power steering fluid level. do no descreen the MAF as stated above, but also im at 430rwhp and im still on a stock MAF. actually the Z-R1 is 700+hp and its on a 85mm tb and MAF system ;)

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The screen helps even the airflow out over the sensor. Removing it provides zero benefit and as I've seen documented across many forums, can cause more problems than it *may* solve. Until you're maxing out the intake limitations (around 400 hp) there's no benefit to modifying/upgrading the stock MAF.

I'll change my mind when someone proves it on a dyno.

bingo, don't remove the screen. its there to 'straighten' the airflow, it removes turbulence and makes the airflow laminar, this gives a nice consitant and accurate reading for the MAF. this is important because the MAF is what senses the airflow which is being used by the engine (oxygen) and the readings it gives are used in the PCM calculations for fueling. so in other words, if you remove the screen, it WILL introduce turbulence across the sensor, which is a fact, which will give incorrect readings, however there are too many variables to predict if those incorrect readings will cause problems for you or not, some people don't have issues, some do, but IMO, its not worth the risk to gain virtually nothing from removing it. FWIW I run a highly modified supercharged motor with the stock MAF and screen, and it'll stay that way. if the truck was a dragster or something that needed every fraction of a fraction of a HP, and longevity wasn't an issue, then that may be a different story.