Which lube works best with a SM465?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Currently sifting through the synthetic motor oils study. It says the testing was performed by a third party lab but it was prepared by AMSOIL.. Anyway, I think this is the same study I looked at awhile ago, the one I mentioned before. Test show that Valvoline SynPower is indeed good stuff. Don't know if more tests were done or if those are industry standard tests. Like with my area of expertise; if someone tried to tell me that ASTM B117 is more accurate at depicting corrosion performance than SAE J2334 I'd laugh at them... But that's exactly what a sales team does to try and drum up interest in a product.

I like to change my oil at least twice a year on stuff that sees regular service. Once it starts to get dark I like to change it out, despite us using Mobil One or Purolater One oil filters too. Only the GMC seems to get the once a year oil change. It's oil always stays a tan-ish color.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Sifted through the gear lube testing.. Only beef I have is there was no control done alongside of AMSOIL's lube. Hard to say how great it is without comparing the lube to what Spicer previously loaded their diffs with. Not saying that lube isn't any good, 500k+ miles out of something is pretty remarkable and only the cross shafts seemed to have the most wear. Would've been great to see just how good it is or how bad it is compared to a competitive product.

Has anyone tried ATF in an SM465?