Which line to disconnect to flush power steering fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to flush my power steering fluid, it looks really dark and I don't know if it's ever been changed. At first, I tried to suck it out with a turkey baster, but I've done that twice already and it's still coming out black. I see two lines running into the power steering reservoir. Does someone have a photo pointing to which is more appropriate to disconnect to fully drain the fluid? This is on a 1998 K1500.

Kemit

Reaction score
Pull the low pressure hose off the back of the pump. It's the one with the hose clamp.

You will want to have a similar sized hose to stick back over the nipple unless your pump is really low on fluid via the turkey baster.

Stick the end you pulled off into a large cup. I use a 44oz big gulp.

Front end up in the air. Key on. Engine off. Turn wheel side to side, refilling res as required with fresh fluid until it runs clean into the cup. Should take about 2 qts total.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Kemit for the help. The hose had an ear clamp on it, and I didn't have a cutter on hand to take it off. I ended up flushing it without taking the hose off and using extra fluid until it came up clear.