Where to route CB coax cables?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Not exactly true. A few coils in the 6" range do create a choke, but it removes excess currents from the surface of the wire that come in on the ground but are not present on the center conductor and can help keep static out of the system. I always thought it would kill it too, but I did a good bit of research on it and everything I found said that it was simply another myth as long as you don't have 20' coiled up.

I did this on my K5 since I was out of RG8X when I set it up and had some extra. It works great and has very little static in it with a perfect 1:1. Of course, using a 102" whip and spring help that too.

Yeah, let's just say I have a "small bit of experience" with radio theory and leave it at that...

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not overly experienced, but I do try to research things if I can and I'm not trying to be a jerk here so I called up my buddy. He has a Master's in electronics engineering and holds the Amateur Extra HAM license. He said that it will create a choke, and in a dipole style antenna, it will not hurt the x-mit/recieve power in any way and will help reduce static and stray rf.

He also said that in a monopole, such as on a vehicle, that it makes no difference at all and will neither hurt or help.

So there's that fwiw.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Believe what/who you want, I'm not here to argue.

Suffice to say I do not agree.