Where to mount aux trans filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi- forgiveness if this has been discussed. I searched and couldn't find anything.

I bought a Derale auxiliary trans filter kit for my '97 K2500 / 5.7 / 4L80E. I've been really busy lately and haven't had time to investigate where would be a good place to mount it. I have a little bit of time coming up this weekend and would like to get out to the shop and get it done.

Any suggestions for a good mounting place? I think my biggest challenge is coming up with a place that's a balance of convenience and safety (I don't think I'll ever seriously wheel this truck but I don't want to have it hanging down waiting to get crushed if I go off road). Suggestions welcome.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenny, he’s referring to a remote filter kit.

Question to the OP, what are you doing with the original filter? The original filter also acts as the pickup for the fluid in the pan.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only semi logical place for the remote filter is on the passenger side, but not a lot of good options there.

My concern is in a cold weather start situation a remote filter may reduce flow regardless if it’s installed on the outlet line or the inlet line.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the extra cooler?
I fitted a thermostat in my lines to my extra cooler and mounted it where the rubber pipes appear under the coolant radiator and are accessible from underneath but tucked away out of harm's way. Maybe you could do the same with your filter?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kenny, he’s referring to a remote filter kit.

Question to the OP, what are you doing with the original filter? The original filter also acts as the pickup for the fluid in the pan.
I deleted my post because I misread the OPs post. I was think trans cooler. Guess Im not awake yet LOL.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies. I've got everything I need and will do the install this weekend. Surely there's a spot under there that's not too crowded. I'd like to get it in the engine bay somewhere but I'm kind of afraid if I get it too close to the passenger side exhaust manifold I'm going to just cause myself heating problems. If I could get the filter in some clean air I have to think it would aid in cooling.

To the question of what to do with the original filter, it stays intact. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that except for on the very coldest days here in the northwest, the viscosity of ATF is such that it will flow through a saturated aux filter pretty much immediately and won't cause noticeable issues. Will report back in January if trans takes a dump :D

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
They generally use a Furd filter like a Wix 51515 that has a built in bypass. If so it is designed to filter a much more viscous fluid at much higher volume.

If a smaller diameter filter is needed a Wix 51516 has a smaller diameter. A 91 corolla or a 98 chevy tracker oil filter will screw right on if space is really tight. These filters are scarcely larger than the gasket in diameter. Last I looked, Wix filters are American made where most of the K&N are now made overseas.

Run the filter on the hot side before the cooler. In a perfect world the filter would be at a low point so the hoses stay full except when the filter is changed then the lines drain.

Important for an engine oil filter, not so much on a trans filter because the trans filter/cooler are all added after the trans is done with the fluid and after it's filtered and cooled it dumps back in to the trans pan.

Likely the most convenient location would be on the core support, perhaps under the battery tray. The hoses are right there so there would be minimal plumbing to connect the dots.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you tapping into one of the aluminum hardlines from the transmission to the cooler?

I wonder how much (if any measurable) pressure loss you may get from adding an external filter? Maybe check with a pressure guage before and after?

What is going to be the external filter change interval? I do like the idea of changing the filter without dropping the tranmission pan, which is usually a mess, especially for the DIY.

The GM Allison transmission has a spin-off oil filter. I don't know if that's in addition to any internal filter or if that's actually the main filter.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you tapping into one of the aluminum hardlines from the transmission to the cooler?

I wonder how much (if any measurable) pressure loss you may get from adding an external filter? Maybe check with a pressure guage before and after?

What is going to be the external filter change interval? I do like the idea of changing the filter without dropping the tranmission pan, which is usually a mess, especially for the DIY.

The GM Allison transmission has a spin-off oil filter. I don't know if that's in addition to any internal filter or if that's actually the main filter.

Yeah, I'll look at the instructions again tomorrow but if memory serves it's supposed to tap into the trans cooler return line (that is, after the cooler).

It uses a pretty common spin on oil filter and I've thought about the service interval. The instructions say every 25k miles but I think if I do it every other oil change that will be a pretty good middle ground.

Here's the kit I bought: https://derale.com/product-footer/filtration/transmission2013-10-28-09-53-271498445698/13091-detail