Where can i find stamped VIN number on frame on 1990 K1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharlieP

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly where I can find the VIN-number stamped or imprinted on a 1990 k1500, preferably on the frame or other chassis part?

I live in Sweden, and as from last year there are new rules that states that the VIN-number must be visible somewhere on the frame. Decals and/or the riveted plate in the window is not enough for a proper vehicle id.
However, the frame is really rusty and covered with old rust protection-goo, grit&dirt and what have you, so unless I sandblaster the whole frame, there´s no way i´ll find it.

I know that there is at least a couple of places on the chassis where the VIN is supposed to be visible, but where?

So I need to be able to show our "DMV" a stamped VIN-number on frame or other metal part of the chassis or I will have to re-register the car again.

There is no need to explain to me how stupid this system is or state the fact that we have a friggin fascist government, I already know...

Thanks guys!

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, our Swede population seems to be growing around here. I don't know the answer but I'd be curious to find out as well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only places to find the VIN on that truck are the plate by the windshield and the sticker on the driver's door. Good luck.

Just remembered, it should be in the glove box with all the RPO codes too.

Last edited:

CharlieP

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i am pretty sure I have read that GM stamps all of their frames on multiple places, some locations might be "hidden" or hard to find in order to keep them hard to erase.

I´ve got about 6 days left to come up with a stamped VIN-number or it needs to taken out of traffic or re-registred...

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I have completely wire wheeled my 95 frame. The only place I have seen any numbers stamped into the frame is on the top of the frame rail on the passenger side near the front door. My frame is an extended cab. The only way to see it is with the cab off.

I do not know what the numbers were for but they were not the VIN.

CharlieP

Reaction score
@ Supercharged

I wish I knew, but places I heard could be:
# Below where your feet would be on passenger side or driver side on main frame beam, close to weld where the beam arches upwards.
# On the frame when looking under the hood on side/below the engine.
# On the side of main frame beam close to rear wheel.

Thanks man!

CharlieP

Reaction score
@ Sierra

-Really?
..Damn, I was really hoping to find it somwhere..
Ok, thanks for your input!

Pontiacs-r-us

Reaction score
Top of frame rail on RT side(or pass side) under bed on mine.About mid way between axle and back of cab.When cleaning frame for paint I found it,& it was stamped well on my truck(88 rcsb). Would have to remove bed or at least raise up from frame to see it.Im sure it's stamped else where, but in this area for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Top of frame rail on RT side(or pass side) under bed on mine.About mid way between axle and back of cab.When cleaning frame for paint I found it,& it was stamped well on my truck(88 rcsb). Would have to remove bed or at least raise up from frame to see it.Im sure it's stamped else where, but in this area for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it on the rear most flat part, or on the section that transitions up from the cab to the bed? I may be able to get in there with an inspection mirror.