When is gone means gone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regarding rust repair on vehicles. I know rust kills unibody cars easily.
Also some trucks get eaten alive as well. In my life I seldom hear of frame rot.
Honest opions please

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is rust on the rear frame rail of my dually. A little surface scale, nothing structural has deteriorated.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is rot on the wheel arch of a truck in the yard here. The body panel has rusted through and started to fall apart.

IMO rust can be fixed, a rotten piece needs to be replaced.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the case of the pic of the red truck above, the inner panel commonly referred to as the outer wheelhouse is also shot. They call body rot cancer for a reason. It usually is in progress on the inside areas where dirt and moisture collect long before it's visible on the outside. If you see it on the outside there is always more.

Sandblasting to clean metal and/or panel replacement are pretty much required to stop it. Paint over rust type coatings and such just tend to slow it down somewhat and it'll be back.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Frames rust, too. I've got rust through in the front of mine. I've seen some horrible frames under auction vehicles.
Yeah auctions are always a crap shoot. You're gonna most of the rust types in around Tacoma's and us and freaking canyons or or as other people call Colorado's

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
while driving my daily beater.
I thought the rust on it and my truck were pretty bad. But I saw a 2013 ford with a huge hole in it.
Maybe I'm getting old man thoughts, those newer cars are crap.
Working at the dealer I seldom seen rotted out cars.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

First pic, the car decided that the rear 4 subframe mounts werre optional when i was taking off from a stop sign in 2016 or whatever

On the right, one must decide if you are looking for "Rust vs rotten" or if youre just looking at your ford

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Frames rust, too. I've got rust through in the front of mine. I've seen some horrible frames under auction vehicles.
if its a pickup with that you need to be more open to positive experiences. What you say is icky frame rot I say great potential to become the next trailer in the family