Wheel question and I've searched and searched, maybe I'm a dumbarse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I've looked and looked so please be nice if it's been posted already, my googlefoo might suck.

I'm dropping my 94 2/4 with spindles, hangers and shackles. I want to step up to 17 inch wheels with 265/60/17. I've read http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?8950-Wheel-spacing-info-for-lowered-trucks and I'm confused because the math isn't working out. It ways in preface text it states that you need to have no more than 4.25 "front spacing" but it lists a 8 inch wide tire as needing 4.75 back space minimum. Doesn't that come up as 3.25 on the front? It's consistently like that down the chart. IS the 4.25 a typo? What back space am I looking for on a 8 inch wide wheel.

You guys are rough on dumb questions, and rightfully so sometimes but be nice because this old ******* is confused.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Maybe I'm off on terminology. When I read tuck I'm thinking if the suspension compresses the wheel/tire assembly will clear the fender and rub. The wheels I'm looking at are 17 x8 with 4.5 back spacing. Any opinions on fitment?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ignore that "front spacing" talk. What you're concerned with on a dropped truck are four things - wheel width, wheel backspacing, tire height, tire width.

With a 2/4 drop as Steve said you don't have quite so much to worry about. Your 4.75" backspace (assuming an 8" or 8.5" wheel as typical) is really for a non-dropped truck but with a 2/4 it will be OK unless you run tall or wide tires.

If you were to drop more, say a 4/6, with an 8~8.5" front wheel you want an absolute minimum of 5" backspacing - 5.25" is available in some wheels, 5.5" is much better but not very common. With a back wheel you can do 10" wide but need 6" of backspacing. 5.75" -might- work, 6" is better.

I mention that because many...I mean many...people find that once they do a 2/4, it's not enough, and they drop more later. You'd be kicking yourself if you bought wheels that would have to be ditched (usually at a loss) so soon after.

Richard

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Ignore that "front spacing" talk. What you're concerned with on a dropped truck are four things - wheel width, wheel backspacing, tire height, tire width.

With a 2/4 drop as Steve said you don't have quite so much to worry about. Your 4.75" backspace (assuming an 8" or 8.5" wheel as typical) is really for a non-dropped truck but with a 2/4 it will be OK unless you run tall or wide tires.

If you were to drop more, say a 4/6, with an 8~8.5" front wheel you want an absolute minimum of 5" backspacing - 5.25" is available in some wheels, 5.5" is much better but not very common. With a back wheel you can do 10" wide but need 6" of backspacing. 5.75" -might- work, 6" is better.

I mention that because many...I mean many...people find that once they do a 2/4, it's not enough, and they drop more later. You'd be kicking yourself if you bought wheels that would have to be ditched (usually at a loss) so soon after.

Richard

Everything is relative as far as tall and wide. The Cragars I like are 17x8 with 4.5BS, I have a set of 265/60/17 tires to use. Too tall?

I like the look of the 4/6 drop but it's not practical given the roads and how I use the truck out here. 2/4 is most likely where I'll stay (I'll bet everyone says that) I had enough of the really low stuff with my Camaro and Nova.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IMO that's bordering on a lot of tire for a dropped truck. Look at it this way: compare any size you plan on using, to the stock size that came on the truck, which is usually 235/75/15 for a GMT400 C1500. That stock tire is around 29" tall and 9.25" section width on a 6.5" wheel, varies depending on brand/model of tire, and stock wheels are...7" if I recall, which narrows that section width a teensy bit.

The 265/60/17 is about 31.5" tall, 10.5" section width - if you run it on the recommended 8" wide wheel.

To clear up section width - that's the widest portion of the tire's cross section, in other words the "bulge" area between the bead and the tread. Since it could possibly come into contact with your fender lip on the outer edge, and other parts on the inner, that's why it matters more than the tread width which is generally narrower.

Back to your drop, a 2/4 gives you a lot more leeway than you'd have with a 4/6~5/7 but I'm thinking that the height of your tires may be a bit much, at least on the front. Maybe pick a slightly shorter tire for the front and save your other 2 from that larger size as replacements for the rear once you wear the first 2 out?

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
265/60-17's? A bit on the too big size. A 275/55 will fit a 2/4 drop much better, & won't throw out your speedo. Same height as the stock 235/75-15's, but a fair amount wider. Virtually the same width as the 454SS 275/60-15's, which I have run on a 4/7 drop & they only required the fender lips to be rolled on that.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Alright that gives me a lot of things to ponder. I'm thinking I'll look at how the 15s sit and go forward from there. Thanks for the info/opinions.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Coolio...just remember with a spindle drop and 15's, you may have interference with the lower control arm. An easy trim on the "gutter" area at the end fixes this. Varies depending on which spindles, which wheels, yada yada.

Richard

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, this is what I ended up with. Pretty much nailed the look I was going for.
You must be registered for see images attach

17x8 with 4.5BS. 265/60/17 in the rear with 235/60/17 in the front.