Wheel question and I've searched and searched, maybe I'm a dumbarse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nacnac

Reaction score
I've looked and looked so please be nice if it's been posted already, my googlefoo might suck.

I'm dropping my 94 2/4 with spindles, hangers and shackles. I want to step up to 17 inch wheels with 265/60/17. I've read http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?8950-Wheel-spacing-info-for-lowered-trucks and I'm confused because the math isn't working out. It ways in preface text it states that you need to have no more than 4.25 "front spacing" but it lists a 8 inch wide tire as needing 4.75 back space minimum. Doesn't that come up as 3.25 on the front? It's consistently like that down the chart. IS the 4.25 a typo? What back space am I looking for on a 8 inch wide wheel.

You guys are rough on dumb questions, and rightfully so sometimes but be nice because this old ******* is confused.

Nacnac

Reaction score
All wheels have an extra inch of width, that's the inside and outside lip. Wheel width measurements, like when they advertise an 8" wheel, it's the inside dimension only, where the tire sits. The lip doesn't count in that dimension. an 8 inch wheel for instance, is actually 9" wide. And if you have 4.5" of backspace on that 8" wheel, you also have 4.5" of frontspace. That wheel would have 0 offset. So, while the lip extra inch doesn't count when they say 8" wheel (I'm just using that as an example) the lip counts when you're talking backspacing and frontspacing. Say you have a 9.5" wheel with 0 backspacing. That means it's right in the middle. So, you think it has 4.75" of backspacing, right? Wrong. You forgot to add the 1/2" lip. That wheel has 5.25" bs and 5.25" in front. And 5.25 and 5.25 = 10.5" total.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I just learned a lot of useless crap. I like this site.

I like the look you were going for, OP. The truck looks GOOD.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Well, its useless to me because I don't think I'll ever want a lowered pickup.

LowFlyr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, this is what I ended up with. Pretty much nailed the look I was going for.
You must be registered for see images attach

17x8 with 4.5BS. 265/60/17 in the rear with 235/60/17 in the front.

Do you have any more pics of this setup? I'm curious about how far out the lip of your front wheel sits. I just ordered a set of 18X8's and 9's at 0 offset (4.5 and 5 inch backspace) and I have been slightly worried about fitment. Which drop did you end up with?

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have any more pics of this setup? I'm curious about how far out the lip of your front wheel sits. I just ordered a set of 18X8's and 9's at 0 offset (4.5 and 5 inch backspace) and I have been slightly worried about fitment. Which drop did you end up with?
If your wheels have 0 offset wouldn't the 8" have 4" backspace and the 9" have a 4.5" backspace ? I could be wrong because I'm more familiar when the wheel is advertised as the backspace in inches.