Wheel House Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wanting to paint the inside of my front fender wells black. Right now they're all faded and covered with spots and stains. Wanting to hear how y'all went about doing that; prep, primer, etc.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll probably take need to be pretty tough to avoid chipping...maybe some flat (not gloss) spray bedliner type coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It depends on what you are looking for. If you spray a glossy finish it will only look good for a short while as sand and stones will dull the finish behind the tire but not farther in so it will not look fresh long. You could spray it in a satin or flat finish that would look better longer and be easier to touch up. You could also spray with rubberized undercoat witch is quick easy cheap and can be touched up easy. Bed liner would be the toughest and longest lasting I would imagine. To paint you would need to sand prime and paint. the more coats of primer and paint the deeper the chips when stones hit it. If you just want a black even color and it isn't rusty I would just do a light coat of black satin finish with a spray can and respray when needed.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It depends on what you are looking for. If you spray a glossy finish it will only look good for a short while as sand and stones will dull the finish behind the tire but not farther in so it will not look fresh long. You could spray it in a satin or flat finish that would look better longer and be easier to touch up. You could also spray with rubberized undercoat witch is quick easy cheap and can be touched up easy. Bed liner would be the toughest and longest lasting I would imagine. To paint you would need to sand prime and paint. the more coats of primer and paint the deeper the chips when stones hit it. If you just want a black even color and it isn't rusty I would just do a light coat of black satin finish with a spray can and respray when needed.

I don't think I want the bed liner cuz I wanna keep a smooth finish, I'll probably stick with the flat. Using a black satin finish, do I need to sand or take a scotchbrite to it?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they are smooth just stained you could get away with a red scotchbright, If they are rougher than you want then I would sand them and prime if you brake through the old paint.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they are smooth just stained you could get away with a red scotchbright, If they are rougher than you want then I would sand them and prime if you brake through the old paint.

Nice, thanks for the help!

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the rustoleum (sp) paint on my old obs and it held up for years. Gloss black.... getting ready to do my frame rails and going with VHT gloss black.....

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All this talk of painting fenderwells I guess it is time I got to painting mine. I painted the truck last ummer and still have overspray on mine. By the way they are called wheel houses or inner fenders when appraising for ins. estimates.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live in North Alabama so surface rust isn't really issue but after 24 years plus some paint booth over spray, it was apparent on my frame. I will one day do the frame the right way when it is stripped away from the rest of the truck, but for current my solution I plasti-dipped the entire front wheel wells and frame with 2-3 coats. It's held up well for two years now, and it has seen its fair share of mud, salt, grime, soap, and pressure washers. It certainly isn't the shiniest or most protective stuff (its a real matte/flat black), but then again we're talking about a place where the sun-don't-shine, and I really don't have to worry about rust here. And whenever it wears off I can just do it again for another two years for $10-15 worth of the plasti-dip. Again, I know this is NOT the best or correct way to do it, but if you're just looking for an eye-candy, cosmetic touch up its the easiest and cheapest thing you can do. It's also one of those things that literally no one else will notice except you, but you will love the way a fresh coat looks.