What motor oil are you running in your Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeasel

Reaction score
I use SWEPCO 5w30 (was API SL until SWEPCO stopped putting API on their 5w30 containers, as opposed to other manufacturers who changed their SL oils to SM/SN, at least in California) and Wix filters on the 1996 5.7L Tahoe, now with about 155,000 miles. I use almost no oil or coolant, but have replaced the lower intake manifold gasket and changed the FI to multiport.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Are you serious? 25k on ANY oil is foolish! Use any synthetic you want and about any filter (except a gram) and change ur oil every 5k and a vortec will live forever. I just had to pull and replace cams on a new Malibu ( yeah I know it's not a vortec ) with 30k miles on it , cams we're about wiped out cause the dumb chick had the oil changed with that mobile 1 once a year oil and went 12k on it and she said " it started running weird" oil was full and a bit dark so I put gauge on it and compression was there but kinda popped and sucked through exhaust. Long story short valves weren't opening completely cause lobes were badly worn. She said " I thought that oils was good for a year?" ...just plain foolish to go that far, oil is cheap, major engine repair is not, CHANGE UR OIL lol

The used oil analysis I do when I run 25k miles says different

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The used oil analysis I do when I run 25k miles says different

Is it really worth the $50-75 for oil and filter to go 25k on same oil? Replacement engine is almost 3k ( 8 hrs flat rate and a replacement engine) and oil is $75 tops? Hmmmmm what to do , what to do? Lol easy answer in my head I guess.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I only run conventional in all 3 of my vortecs and all have ALOT of miles on em and run very strong still. The Yukon is over 330k, the z71 is at 225k, and the 4.3l passed 300k two years ago before the instrument cluster quit showing me what was on it. My last truck had (94 z71) 480k on it when I sold it . Not trying to start anything just saying as long as oil is changed these vortecs won't stop!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are plenty of oils capable of going much farther than 25K miles per change. Blackstone Labs told me I could be running an interval of 5K or more on my trucks with conventional Pennzoil if I wanted to. I change at 3K but there's plenty of life left in it.
If you really want to see how much money you're wasting by changing a synthetic at 5K then I'd recommend hitting Blackstone up for an oil analysis.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it really worth the $50-75 for oil and filter to go 25k on same oil? Replacement engine is almost 3k ( 8 hrs flat rate and a replacement engine) and oil is $75 tops? Hmmmmm what to do , what to do? Lol easy answer in my head I guess.

I change my oil every 5k because I haven't done a used oil analysis. Owner's Manual says 7500 miles for whatever a factory fill was, I assume dino oil. If the analysis says the oil is good, then there is zero risk to the extended intervals.