What is the downspout thing next to the heatercore (94 chevy 2500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kawana

Reaction score
What would the little downspout thing be that comes out of the firewall next to the inlet and outlet of the heatercore. I just noticed mines been dripping a fair bit, and It keep making me think I have a coolant leak when I see liquid on the ground. Is it some sort of water discharge for the A/C system? Should it be dripping alot?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's the AC drain spout. It will drain if you use the AC.

Kawana

Reaction score
Well the weird thing is that I didnt have the A/C on. Out of curiosity I unplugged the A/C to see if it continues.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your heater core may be leaking. This would drain in the same place, but would be cooling fluid. I would do a pressure test of the cooling system. It is easy to do, but must be done when the truck engine is cool, NOT hot. You can rent a radiator pressure tester from autozone. This will test the whole system.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh one more thing, I would not plug up that drain. If you do, and there is a leak, it will fill up the area inside the box that holds the AC evap., and heater core, then it will spill over into the cab of the truck.

Kawana

Reaction score
Hmm ok, I was doing work on the coolant system and found that the heater core was corroded and plugged, so I just bypassed it completely. I didn't see any liquid around the heatercore when I pulled the cover off under the dash. Hopefully its just some residual water from the AC

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There you go, very well could be.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that any time you run your defroster, the A/C compressor is running to pull moisture out of the air. So if you've run your defroster recently that could be why it was draining condensation.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a post on here some where kind of like yours. Some of the replies talk about a leak inside the cawl. You have to remove the plastic cover over the cawl to access the inner side. The leak lets water drip in the AC box some how I think, although I am not sure how this could happen.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a post on here some where kind of like yours. Some of the replies talk about a leak inside the cawl. You have to remove the plastic cover over the cawl to access the inner side. The leak lets water drip in the AC box some how I think, although I am not sure how this could happen.

Here's the thread about that cowl leak.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-mysterious-interior-rain-leak.15928/

Unfortunately some of the pictures are gone, but there's still some good info in there.