What headers for 7.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-iron

Reaction score
Im wanting to buy headers for my 1996 k3500 crew cab 454. Im wanting to spend no more than $300. Im thinking about running true duals. We dont have annual emissions in michigan so not real worried about that. Anyone have ideas on what headers to get? Im lifting the truck and puting at least 38's tires on it so i want a cool sound

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck trying to find Vortec 454 headers for anything less than $450; all that I've found for around $300 are TBI headers and I've got no idea if they work on the Vortec heads.
Are you looking for long tubes or shorties?

Unless you find one hell of a deal on Gen 6 454 truck headers, I would suggest shelling out for a decent set. Several members have the Gibson shorties, and while the price tag will make you sick I've heard nothing but positive reviews aside from having to make a few modifications to the flanges and downpipes supplied with the kit.

J-iron

Reaction score
I was thinking longtube but i dont know alot about headers and this is my first big block .Im defiantly not against paying a few hundred more to get the best results. Idk which material.. Stainless, ceramic,etc?

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a set of the hookers at a swap meet for the TBI 4x4 454. Fitment is great on my 2000 K3500 truck. You can get some weld in O2 sensor bungs and put them straight up about 3" from the collector. Use a 1/18" hole saw and non-foulers to hold them while welding. You can use the egr fitting out of the exhaust manifold (JIC -14 Male IIRC) and weld it into the bend on the #5 primary. I have pictures but I have to reduce the quality as the files are too big to upload at the moment.

The paint that comes on the headers is junk anyway so I did a test fit to locate everything then welded the bungs on. Then blast and paint them you will be happy for around $300.
Hooker Competition Headers 2461HKR

jfletch

Reaction score
I had a 90 454 ss with Hooker long tubes, not sure if they make one with the egr tube option for the vortec, but you can always buy it without and have the egr tuned out and an egr delete plate put on.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck trying to find Vortec 454 headers for anything less than $450; all that I've found for around $300 are TBI headers and I've got no idea if they work on the Vortec heads.
The exhaust bolt pattern on the Vortec heads is no different than any other BBC heads. Exhaust port shape varies among various BBC heads, but the bolt pattern is the same. Pick a gasket that fits, and a tube size that works, and you're good.

The bigger question is how the tubes fit the chassis.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The bigger question is how the tubes fit the chassis.

I've always wanted to use the stock manifolds off the medium duty trucks. Some of them look like shorty headers. I've never had them in hand to try, but it would be a miracle if they cleared the frame.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone use the Stainless Works long tubes for the 8.1L? They are designed for a GMT800, but I’m curious if they would fit the GMT400 frame.

You must be registered for see images