What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Towed fine through town, got out on the interstate and stepped on it to get up to speed and it started popping and backfiring through the intake. Haven't had the chance to dive in yet, but I did pop the valve covers and everything was intact as I set it. Assuming at this point it's a lifter or wiped a cam lobe. Just put a cam in it last year, but unfortunately I am cheap and went flat tappett. Looks like a roller is in my future.
Have you checked your distributor? I know it sounds unlikely, but a lot of other 454 owners have had what was believed to be catastrophic failure, but it was only something with the dizzy.
My misfire is related to a transmission issue, which I'm hoping I can just replace the harness and a couple solenoids so I can limp it along until I can afford a rebuild.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love it; great combo but I hate to hear you had problems, what happened?
I definitely feel your pain on struggles with a camping trip. Last spring I took my truck and camper down to the beach, truck ran like crap the whole way down and I busted a leaf spring on the camper. But I managed to make it.

Other than having to wrench on the truck and camper for the first day, it was a good beach vacation.
I'm definitely using that trip as motivation for building the new motor for my truck.

Crazy how much bigger the gmt900 looks. Didn’t realize she grew so much for that body style

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Towed my travel trailer from the lake property to a shop to get it re-roofed and resealed.

383 towed it like a beast and drank fuel like one too at 11 mpg, lol.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wow that fan is loud, you've got a Duramax fan modded to fit don't you?
I aspire to have my 454 truck pull half has hard as your van does, I'm jealous

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow that fan is loud, you've got a Duramax fan modded to fit don't you?
I aspire to have my 454 truck pull half has hard as your van does, I'm jealous
Yea Duramax fan with its wings clipped slightly and EV clutch for a 2007 Trailblazer. It runs based off coolant temperature, transmission temperature and AC pressure. Even not towing in this 109°F weather it is getting a solid workout. The Duramax fan does pull off substantial power in this weather and probably eats 2 mpg but the temperature gauge never moves higher than 210°F even stuck in traffic.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yea Duramax fan with its wings clipped slightly and EV clutch for a 2007 Trailblazer. It runs based off coolant temperature, transmission temperature and AC pressure. Even not towing in this 109°F weather it is getting a solid workout. The Duramax fan does pull off substantial power in this weather and probably eats 2 mpg but the temperature gauge never moves higher than 210°F even stuck in traffic.

I forget, did you need bits of a TBSS OS to run that fan clutch? It's PWM, right?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forget, did you need bits of a TBSS OS to run that fan clutch? It's PWM, right?
Yes and No. To control it PWM as it is controlled in the TBSS you do. If you want to have it either freewheel or lock you can use the normal fan logic. I had it set up first as a dual fan relay setup. Relay 1 was a 16" electric puller. Relay 2 powered the PWM clutch with 12 volts, basically fully locking the clutch. The electric puller and freewheeling clutch fan kept the engine plenty cool until it got up to about 100°F or with heavy towing. The disadvantage to not PWM controlling it is it takes 20-30 seconds to release again and the clutch is not loosened up over 80% throttle. You definitely KNOW when this clutch is locked in. It ate 15 ft/lbs and 10 hp at the tires on the 350 and even my 383 drags a bit over 4,000-4,500 rpm with it engaged.

I had to shift the 16" fan over about 6" to the driverside when I put the EV clutch on to make room for the wiring connections. The electric fan was rigidly bolted to the radiator with cushion pads and metal brackets, the clutch fan was not going to suck it into it. It also looks tighter than it really is in the picture, without the fan shroud and thus upper mounts, the radiator was tilted back a bit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: