what gear oil do you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
80w-90 and you need a friction additive because of the posi

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
80w-90 and you need a friction additive because of the posi
Thanks for the info! I went with Lucas 80w90....and FelPro gasket with red High temp rtv.
Front diff was easy....pretty dark oil came out, but nothing compared to my rear diff.

Can you help me identify what gear ratio I have? And if I have a G80? (photos)
You must be registered for see images attach

And then I found this!

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
41x9 Looks like you got 4.56's there buddy.
And that chunk of metal... Not good. Looks like a tooth off your pinion.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
41x9 Looks like you got 4.56's there buddy.
And that chunk of metal... Not good. Looks like a tooth off your pinion.

Thanks! Thats the ratio I was wishing for! As for that metal chunk i think your right. I checked the ring over and only a scratch.i couldnt see the pinion very well so I guess its from there. How bad is this situation? I cant tell anything is wrong. no noise. i cleaned it out really well to make sure no more metal is in it.

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
Well not exactly knowing whats wrong I cant really say how to go about fixing it. But I would look into it A.S.A.P.
A new 4.56 R and P set from Summit is only $150. A rebuild kit around $50-60. Cheap insurance instead of having to replace the whole assembly down the road.
Then again for a few hundred more you can get a junkyard 14 bolt and built it up new with 4.56's for about $450 total.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Well not exactly knowing whats wrong I cant really say how to go about fixing it. But I would look into it A.S.A.P.
A new 4.56 R and P set from Summit is only $150. A rebuild kit around $50-60. Cheap insurance instead of having to replace the whole assembly down the road.
Then again for a few hundred more you can get a junkyard 14 bolt and built it up new with 4.56's for about $450 total.
Now you got me thinking about a 14 bolt. I think im going to go find one really soon and build it up.