What electric fan setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a certified welder myself, have a rig/mig setup here and been fabricating most of my life so I can do it but wanna easy setup lol. Ur setup is sweet tho! Would love to do something like that in mine, then I'd have to make everything else shiny to match it tho ! Basically and gm fan setup that'll fit my radiator and mock up sum mounts and be good. Will try and figure out the 2 speed things after the fact .
Oh, and if you can find a NDS truck, those fans are the rite size I think. Kind of a direct bolt in. I think you can also use the NBS rad with the fans and just swap all into your gmt400.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I played around with electrics at one point. In the end I just threw a mechanical clutch fan back on it. They don't eat much power when they are freewheeling, they are reliable and much easier on the alternator and charging system My engine runs cooler and the a/c stays colder with a clutch fan as well. I could run the 350 engine hard enough to overheat it with 34" Tahoe fans even with a 454 dual core radiator and with the mechanical fan as soon as the temp wavers above normal the clutch kicks the fan in with a chirp of the belt and the temp drops like a rock. Mechanical fan has far more cfm than the dual electrics. On the dyno I lost about 8-10 hp with an engaged clutch fan but in normal driving it almost never engages and when it does its only engaged for a few seconds.

ovaddiesr

Reaction score
I’m using a mark viii fan with digital controller wired into a separate relay away from the ls wiring. I keep the clutch fan in the back in case of emergency.
You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I played around with electrics at one point. In the end I just threw a mechanical clutch fan back on it. They don't eat much power when they are freewheeling, they are reliable and much easier on the alternator and charging system My engine runs cooler and the a/c stays colder with a clutch fan as well. I could run the 350 engine hard enough to overheat it with 34" Tahoe fans even with a 454 dual core radiator and with the mechanical fan as soon as the temp wavers above normal the clutch kicks the fan in with a chirp of the belt and the temp drops like a rock. Mechanical fan has far more cfm than the dual electrics. On the dyno I lost about 8-10 hp with an engaged clutch fan but in normal driving it almost never engages and when it does its only engaged for a few seconds.

I dont have AC so my fans very rarely ever turn on. Maybe when im pumping gas as it takes awhile to fill but besides that no issue. No overheating issues either, even hanging the rpms up around 7200 in boost for awhile.
I have 2 LEDs on the dash so i know when they fans are on. And i watch my gauge so if its up to 215* and the amber light doesnt come on ill know to look for a blown fuse.

eshaw

Reaction score
I've seen LT1 fan setups in the recycling yards that look like they'd move plenty of air. As a matter of fact I've also read that the LT1 Roadmaster used a mechanical as a secondary fan setup for towing applications.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m using a mark viii fan with digital controller wired into a separate relay away from the ls wiring. I keep the clutch fan in the back in case of emergency.
You need the 2001-2002ish GMT400 3500HD 6.5/8.1 air box. Would really simplify your intake plumbing.

ovaddiesr

Reaction score
You need the 2001-2002ish GMT400 3500HD 6.5/8.1 air box. Would really simplify your intake plumbing.
I've looked around and cant find one a good picture of them. I want it to breathe from the fender hole as intended from factory. so far i dont have any complaints from my setup as it uses the oem filter and box.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've looked around and cant find one a good picture of them. I want it to breathe from the fender hole as intended from factory. so far i dont have any complaints from my setup as it uses the oem filter and box.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

My big gripe with the factory fan on the 1500 was how hot the AC got in traffic. With the 3500 I just deal with it. I need the cooling the fan offers at speed for as heavy as I haul with it.