What electric fan setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out my body lift on and think the shroud modifications look like a 12 year old designed it with crayons. Gonna ditch whole shroud and go with electric fan/s. What do y'all recommend? A pair of 12s or 14s or one big one? Do I need my shroud or can I ditch it and just out a nice header plate across rad support to run my wiring across( I have dual runs if 1/0 power wire across rad)

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
we put LS1 E fans on my buddy's 98 and they fit pretty good.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a sweet set of 12" on a aluminum plate , say they move 2800cfm combined. But also looking at two separate 14" without a shroud around same price.

I know the mechanical pulls something stupid like 10k cfm but it's always running and eating hp and fuel economy doing it.
Anyone know what a good cfm is for light towing and cool climate on our trucks?
You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive always been iffy on the cheap fans. I dont trust them to last long.
I try to stick with a OEM fan.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
we put LS1 E fans on my buddy's 98 and they fit pretty good.

I'm looking at a set of ls1 fans too, same price range just have to figure out mounting , and when to turn off/on since I haven't done the 0411 swap yet and can't program it , need to order a manual sensor for now. What did u use to mount the ls1 fans?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind that I am a welder, but I used a set of fans I pulled off of a Cadillac DTS. I made SST brackets for the top and bottom of the fan, and had to do a little triming to the cadi shroud, (just some bolt stand offs but the width is a perfect match, although the height is about maybe 2,or 3 inches shorter) to get it to fit rite, but I love my set up. They are quite and move a lot of air. If your going to buy a kit, the flex-a-lite is grate, but expensive and kind of loud. Here are a few pics of mine and a link to my write up. Just click the link for my write up on what and how I did mine. They have been on my truck for about 2 years now, and I have never had an issue with them. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/electric-fan-swap-on-the-cheap.41756/

Last edited:

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking at a set of ls1 fans too, same price range just have to figure out mounting , and when to turn off/on since I haven't done the 0411 swap yet and can't program it , need to order a manual sensor for now. What did u use to mount the ls1 fans?
That was 10 years ago. but i think we just bent some steel tabs and bolted them to the rad support and to the fan shroud. It wasnt purdy but it worked.. I have them on my 91 now but just rigged them to get by with more metal tabs bent and bolted them in.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind that I am a welder, but I used a set of fans I pulled off of a Cadillac DTS. I made SST brackets for the top and bottom of the fan, and had to do a little triming to the cadi shroud, (just some bolt stand offs but the width is a perfect match, although the height is about maybe 2,or 3 inches shorter) to get it to fit rite, but I love my set up. They are quite and move a lot of air. If your going to buy a kit, the flex-a-lite is grate, but expensive and kind of loud. Here are a few pics of mine and a link to my write up. Just click the link for my write up on what and how I did mine. They have been on my truck for about 2 years now, and I have never had an issue with them. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/electric-fan-swap-on-the-cheap.41756/

I'm a certified welder myself, have a rig/mig setup here and been fabricating most of my life so I can do it but wanna easy setup lol. Ur setup is sweet tho! Would love to do something like that in mine, then I'd have to make everything else shiny to match it tho ! Basically and gm fan setup that'll fit my radiator and mock up sum mounts and be good. Will try and figure out the 2 speed things after the fact .

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a certified welder myself, have a rig/mig setup here and been fabricating most of my life so I can do it but wanna easy setup lol. Ur setup is sweet tho! Would love to do something like that in mine, then I'd have to make everything else shiny to match it tho ! Basically and gm fan setup that'll fit my radiator and mock up sum mounts and be good. Will try and figure out the 2 speed things after the fact .
The DTS fans I have are 2 speed, but I just use the high side. To use the low side, I would have had to build an electronic setup as the fans when on the Cadi are controlled by the ECM. It would have been a much more complex set up, and once I saw how quite they are on high, I am good with that. As for the polish work, I hear you. I have done a bunch under the hood my self. The alt, AC compressor, AC lines, the aluminum brackets that hold the alt, and compressor. Its a work in progress though. I have also done my tail gate banner, and OE rims also. It gets attention at the car show, and on the street. My truck is very clean, I like the clean look.

Last edited: