What do I do with this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I am about to sand and paint my rockers, the leading edge of the bed has this paint protection thing stuck to it. Do I just attempt to peel or sand it off? Surely I wouldn't be able to paint over it right?

You must be registered for see images attach

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
Yes, remove the clear protector and clean the adhesive before you repaint. Some heat will help it come off. You can duplicate it and install after you paint to protect that area if you want. We buy clear plastic in rolls and make templates from the old part all the time in our shop.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need to remove the strip with a heat gun. If you just paint over it, it will show through the paint. Once you remove it, then you will have to get the glue off. Some goo gone should work for that.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Yes, remove the clear protector and clean the adhesive before you repaint. Some heat will help it come off. You can duplicate it and install after you paint to protect that area if you want. We buy clear plastic in rolls and make templates from the old part all the time in our shop.

You need to remove the strip with a heat gun. If you just paint over it, it will show through the paint. Once you remove it, then you will have to get the glue off. Some goo gone should work for that.

Sounds simple enough! Thanks guys!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Heat gun to remove it, then 3M adhesive remover aerosol. Plastic scraper to remove remnants of glue softened up and sticky from the adhesive remover.