well, I'm at a cross roads...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
You will have nothing but time. I'm just a sucker for classics.

I think the question you need to ask your self is, if I dedicate a year in to restoring a car, what would you and the misses enjoy cruising in the most.

You said the wife hates the mustang, which is understandable, so it's either the T-bird or the 300. Which would the misses prefer?

I know I sound like pansy, "ask the wife". :lol: but really I ask my wife's opinion on everything since its a together effort.

Sent from ®obland

That actually makes a lot of sence

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nah, 6bt is week project at best.

I can buy a rotted out 1st gen 12v dodge around these parts for 1500-2000 and swap the whole drivetrain.

Just can't afford it down time right now.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I apologize if I sound harsh but I would sell them all.
They are all mediocre vehicles at best, although the T-bird is mildly interesting.........if it's all there, but it sounds like it's not. Pro tour the T-bird possibly?
The mustang needs to go right now. The 300M is downright boring so it needs to go.
As for your truck, that would be your call. From what I understand, you have a lot of money tied up in it. You'll never recoup it all if you sold it. I will say this though, the money you spent on your GMT400 truck, could have gone a lot further on a Dodge Cummins truck (yes I said it). But that's nether here nor there. Despite how much was spent on your truck, it is very unique. It might be worth keeping just for that reason.

My thinking:
Sell them all except for the wife's daily driver.
Buy a 100,000 mile Dodge Cummins (2006ish) crew with 8ft box.
Then buy something interesting like maybe a 2006 GTO.

Both above vehicles, with a few mods, will up your fun factor by 100%.
Hell, in stock form they will do that.

Just my opinion.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I apologize if I sound harsh but I would sell them all.
They are all mediocre vehicles at best, although the T-bird is mildly interesting.........if it's all there, but it sounds like it's not. Pro tour the T-bird possibly?
The mustang needs to go right now. The 300M is downright boring so it needs to go.
As for your truck, that would be your call. From what I understand, you have a lot of money tied up in it. You'll never recoup it all if you sold it. I will say this though, the money you spent on your GMT400 truck, could have gone a lot further on a Dodge Cummins truck (yes I said it). But that's nether here nor there. Despite how much was spent on your truck, it is very unique. It might be worth keeping just for that reason.

My thinking:
Sell them all except for the wife's daily driver.
Buy a 100,000 mile Dodge Cummins (2006ish) crew with 8ft box.
Then buy something interesting like maybe a 2006 GTO.

Both above vehicles, with a few mods, will up your fun factor by 100%.
Hell, in stock form they will do that.

Just my opinion.

No offence taken.

:)

Allow me to rebutt:

I wouldn't mind a Cummins, just not interested in the dodge they come wrapped in. I've got a couple friends with 'em and they are capable trucks, but it feels like I'm riding in a "cartoon truck" everytime I'm in them. Nice features, comfortable and powerful but not for me. I'd get a 7.3 power stroke before a dodge.

I spent the money on the truck because at the time I had no choice. We were on a cross continent move, the engine popped and I was in the states. Financing a vehicle out of country wasn't an option and I didn't have 20-30,000 in liquid cash. Dropping in a new engine was about the only viable option. Turned out to be 10,000 (with labour) so I'm stuck with it for several more years until I at least get some use out of it. If someone offered even trade on an eclb duramax or Cummins dodge it would be gone before I could get the keys into their hands. But that's pretty unlikely to happen....

The bird is a cruiser, a stronb runner as is and complete. Im also a big tbird fan ( have had many of them). Problem is the rust is extensive and requires major work to make it road worthy to my standards. I mean MAJOR work. I could slap it together, but thats just not me. So its going to be stupid amounts of work and money to finish it. Not sure I want to go there. So far there's only 2 grand into it and I could get that back out of it easily.

2006 GTO? My turn to be harsh (no offence intended): gross. Completely and utterly gross. Other than the drivetrain, boring as hell. Might as well put the corvette underpinnings and drivetrain under the M. At least that would be fast and interesting. GTO: No thank you.

Mustang is what it is. I like 'em, you don't. That's just personal prefs. No harm no foul. That would likely be the easiest and cheapest build if all I wanted was speed though.

The M is a car that has to driven to be appreciated. Its no 1/4 monster, its no autocross hero, and its not the most visually stunning car (about the same as the 06 gto there). But its good enough at all that to satisfy me and I could jump in it right now and cross the continent in comfort and safety. Problem is: if it becomes the "project car" all that is likely to be ruined.

Like of thinking to do before I do anything....

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Honestly, get rid of all of them. The T-bird is an undesirable model, Fox's are a dime a dozen, just like GMT400's, and the 300M, well, for some reason I don't even seem them being cool in 30 years.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
There is a lot of folks that view the 2004-2006 GTO's as you do.
I don't. They may look mundane but so did the sixties GTO's. Up until the Judge, they all looked mundane, fast, but mundane. The 2004-2006 GTO's stayed true to that.

I actually like Fox Mustangs, but I should have elaborated the following point in my first post. I would get rid of it out of respect for the current missus. But that's just me. I don't buy or keep any vehicle unless my wife will enjoy it with me.

I understand about your truck. I'll leave it alone. Like I said, it's unique and worth keeping. Besides, according to your sig, it's putting down some serious juice in it's current state. Well done.

The M? They are nice and I have driven quite a few of them. But I have also worked on quite a few of them. I'm just saying you can get a better sedan for close to the same amount of coin. My suggestion would be an import though.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah, 6bt is week project at best.

I can buy a rotted out 1st gen 12v dodge around these parts for 1500-2000 and swap the whole drivetrain.

Just can't afford it down time right now.
If it won't take that long and you are retired then time is no excuse. That is cheap for a Cummins donor around here. Do the swap and then find a project that you and that hot little wife of yours will enjoy. Who knows, at the end of a day she might just enjoy the project so much tha the two of you sitting in two separate bath tubs looking at a sunset.