well, I'm at a cross roads...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I've got too many vehicles just hanging on and something has got to go. I'm getting older and it's time to streamline. Getting fairly close to the retirement part of my life and it's time to start seriously planning for it. About another 6-8 years and I plan to move in to some simple home business to augment my pension a bit and enjoy the last part of my life.

I've got the 62 t-bird:

You must be registered for see images attach

the 83 Mustang

You must be registered for see images

(not mine but could be it's clone if it were a hatchback and not a convert)

and my 2004 300M special:

You must be registered for see images attach

The 'bird was going to be a retirement project, but it's becoming more and more obvious it's a parts car and not a rebuilder. Rust, rust, rust. Plus, I haven't seen it in nearly 5 years other than a couple visits. It' sealed up in a garage at our second house in another province. It's also the one that I have the least attachment to.

Then there's the Mustang. I've had it since 87. It's had a 302, a 351 and now it's holding it's original 3.8 in the engine bay. It is in the same garage as the T-Bird. But I've already replaced the windshield channel a the upper corners and the rust is bubbling back out again. It had all fresh rubber when I parked it, but that was 5 years ago and it's likely gone to pot now even with it sealed in a garage.

The 300M is a perfectly good car. Handles like rat in sneakers and fits like a well oiled glove. I really like it despite it being what some consider and "old mans car".

I've also got the truck (needed to haul the travel trailer), the wife's Nissan XTrail (needed to haul the wife and keep her away from my truck) and the Interceptor (probably keep that, takes no space or extra cost).

Too many things hanging around. Thing is: the T-bird will only bring a couple grand, the Mustang even less. The M should bring in around 5 grand. I could use the extra cash, but I need to free myself of all the stuff clinging to me as well.

I'm half thinking of keeping the M and selling the rest off. Then, the M becomes the retirement project. Probably slip a C5 suspension and drivetrain under it. Grab something like this:

You must be registered for see images

for 5-6 grand and start a choppin'. But that would likely ruin so much of what makes the M a favorite car for me.

Chuck in on top of all this: I don't drive any of them.

The bird and stang have sat for the last 5 years, the M has followed me across teh country on the back of a transporter for the last 3.

Just not sure what to do.....not one jumps out as the right thing to do.

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a big Mustang fan love the fox body Stangs had an 85 5.0, I'd say sell the other two keep the stang, fix any body issues, throw in a 5.0 with bolt-ons and have a great lil Stang

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'm a big Mustang fan love the fox body Stangs had an 85 5.0, I'd say sell the other two keep the stang, fix any body issues, throw in a 5.0 with bolt-ons and have a great lil Stang

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The other twist with the mustang is the wife hates it. Used to be the ex wife's transport for a while we were married. It was our car on our honeymoon and we drove it everywhere. Current missus doesn't care if I work on it but she'll never ride in it.

So it would become an orphan project. If I were to sell it, at least the money I get for it will go in my daughters education fund...

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Sounds like you already know which way to go.

Sell the bird and stang, and keep the M. Looking at the cars, I wouldn't keep any, they're just not my style. The Mustang might've stayed, but not with it being an "orphan project" like you said. No point in even keeping it.

Sounds like you really like the M, so that's where you should put your time and money. Might not be the popular decision, but you're not running for president here. Might be tough to sell the bird because you're realizing that it just won't happen, and selling the mustang after having owned it for so long, but other than that, seems like keeping the M would be the one that would sit best with you.

How much does that trailer weigh (dry)?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds like you already know which way to go.

Sell the bird and stang, and keep the M. Looking at the cars, I wouldn't keep any, they're just not my style. The Mustang might've stayed, but not with it being an "orphan project" like you said. No point in even keeping it.

Sounds like you really like the M, so that's where you should put your time and money. Might not be the popular decision, but you're not running for president here. Might be tough to sell the bird because you're realizing that it just won't happen, and selling the mustang after having owned it for so long, but other than that, seems like keeping the M would be the one that would sit best with you.

How much does that trailer weigh (dry)?

8,000 lbs.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
keep the Mustang. Sell the rest imo.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Wow, I think ours was only 4500 dry. That's a tank. :jawdrop:

9 feet high and 35 feet long....2 slides and one of them is a super slide (as long as two slides together). It's closer to 8,500-9,000 lbs ready for war....