Water leaking from blower motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advise.
It's raining now so I'm going to have to wait on sealing it.
I'm sure there will be some water on the floor in the morning.
Go out there an put the hvac on recirculating, that will close the door to the fresh air and stop the water getting to the blower motor. I always left mine on recirculating when it was going to rain.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Yep it's either the sealant around that cover plate, or that single screw under the passenger corner of the cowl plastic. Both are directly over the fresh air intake in the cowl.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

^ That fixed my leak.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mighta gone for overkill there. ;) There's only a couple areas where water can get into the fresh air intake in the cowl, and they've been detailed in the previous replies. That is, barring a rusted-out shield around the intake...which can happen in situations where extreme amounts of debris have sat in there for a while.

Richard

I know, I know LOL. I was just frustrated at the time, because each time I figured I had it taken care of, I would find water in the passenger floor area again. After a while, I just figured I might as well do everything possible, knowing that water seems to have the ability to go uphill, around corners, and anywhere else it feels like. And BTW, even after a good wash, the truck does stay dry, so it turned out to be worth it.

Now, if only I knew just where the mysterious leak was....

brocks 97

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen when my ac condensation drain got clogged with a dirt dober nest. Just ran a screwdriver in and once it was wet I used pipe cleaners to clean the rest of the way. Also installed a small piece of window screen with zip tie to stop the jerks the next time

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen when my ac condensation drain got clogged with a dirt dober nest. Just ran a screwdriver in and once it was wet I used pipe cleaners to clean the rest of the way. Also installed a small piece of window screen with zip tie to stop the jerks the next time

Same here. My Suburban's blower motor box was only dripping water when the A/C was running, not while driving through rain or car washes. Turned out to be that drain line, it was partially blocked so the condensation in the box couldn't drain fast enough.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to try that. My lf inner rocker well (where the wire loom sits) is full of water (carpet is out, that's how I found it). I replaced all pieces of the cowl @ the beginning of the summer due to broken ribs. Maybe the water is coming from one of those screws?

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep it's either the sealant around that cover plate, or that single screw under the passenger corner of the cowl plastic. Both are directly over the fresh air intake in the cowl.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Reviving a very old thread - 6 years. Just wanted to confirm this also fixed my problem. I had a water leak in the passenger footwell dripping from the blower motor onto my floor mat. About a cup of water after a heavy rain while the truck was parked. I pulled off the passenger side cowl end cover (one screw is all that is needed to remove it), and lo and behold, that same screw circled in the picture above was loose - backed out about half way. Since we were due for another heavy rain this afternoon, I removed the screw, applied a good amount of clear silicone caulk to the hole and the screw, and reinstalled the screw.

End result: I poured a bucket of water down the windshield and over the cowl, just before the torrential rain rolled in. Just went out and checked after the rain ended an hour ago, and dry as a bone. Unbelievable.

Hard to believe one small half-loose screw was letting in that much water. But fixed now, thanks to the brain trust on this forum. Thanks guys. :cheers:

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
Reviving a very old thread - 6 years. Just wanted to confirm this also fixed my problem. I had a water leak in the passenger footwell dripping from the blower motor onto my floor mat. About a cup of water after a heavy rain while the truck was parked. I pulled off the passenger side cowl end cover (one screw is all that is needed to remove it), and lo and behold, that same screw circled in the picture above was loose - backed out about half way. Since we were due for another heavy rain this afternoon, I removed the screw, applied a good amount of clear silicone caulk to the hole and the screw, and reinstalled the screw.

End result: I poured a bucket of water down the windshield and over the cowl, just before the torrential rain rolled in. Just went out and checked after the rain ended an hour ago, and dry as a bone. Unbelievable.

Hard to believe one small half-loose screw was letting in that much water. But fixed now, thanks to the brain trust on this forum. Thanks guys. :cheers:

Thanks for reviving this thread. It's exactly why I came here. Have water leaking under near blower motor and I knew someone here probably had the same problem. Saved me from having to search.

I figured it was the cowl area but wanted a good place to start looking.