Water leaking from blower motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure it has been discussed and solved before but I wasn't sure how to find it.
I have water leaking from my blower motor. I'm not sure why or how to fix this.
My blower motor works fine and heat blows hot. No antifreeze leaking.
Any input would be much appreciated.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes this has been a topic on here before, but to answer your question. First, is the AC compressor running ? If so it may be just condensate from that. If not then You need to do a radiator pressure test to see if the heater core is leaking. If so then it will need to be replaced, but you may be able to get away using some alumaseal in the radiator.https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea.../7120024_alu_asbp73_pri_larg.jpg&action=click

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh, when it's leaking from the blower motor it's not the heater core or the a/c evap. Leaking from the blower motor is water intrusion from the fresh air intake. The blower motor is lower in the hvac box than where it would leak if it was the a/c or heater core....

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's from the blower motor. You can hear the ice when it freezes. I will definitely try to seal the cowl area. Thanks for the advice and the link.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My bad, I miss read the thread. It does say blower motor, and I was thinking of the drain line on the box on the outside of the truck. I guess it would have been clearer to me if it said it was leaking in the cab of the truck.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar leak. I just went after every possible source. I removed the plastic vent panels on the cowl, and cleaned out the fresh air intake area very thoroughly. I also removed the two cowl drain boxes on the firewall (one on each side) and cleaned them out. Then, I removed the rubber elbow on the heater plenum (it is on the right hand side of the firewall, under the hood), and made sure that there was nothing plugging that drain.

When I replaced the plastic cowl vents, I sealed every hole I could find, including the screw threads with RTV. I removed the rubber seal on the seam under the back of the engine hood, and made sure there was nothing wrong there.

Finally, I removed both the rubber rain gutters in the top of the door openings, cleaned them thoroughly, and cleaned the body where they attach. Put everything back together, and so far, even after washing the truck, no water problems.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You mighta gone for overkill there. ;) There's only a couple areas where water can get into the fresh air intake in the cowl, and they've been detailed in the previous replies. That is, barring a rusted-out shield around the intake...which can happen in situations where extreme amounts of debris have sat in there for a while.

Richard

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advise.
It's raining now so I'm going to have to wait on sealing it.
I'm sure there will be some water on the floor in the morning.