Wanting to throw the original radio back in my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pitting my JBL L150A's against a beat, beat, beat set of Klipsch Cornwalls gave me a PhD in the Importance of Efficiency haha. I had upgraded to a Marantz 3600 pre amp & Marantz 510M power amp. But 300 watts RMS just wasn't enough to rattle my ear drums properly with the JBL's. but whoa damn, those Klipsch's loved every watt. They just didn't have the refinement, articulation or as deep & tight bass the L150A's gave me. When I got the Adcom GFA 555 II's and bridged them, whoa yea. They came alive with 600 watts alright. The "Cornholes" have been put in the garage, and I'll probably toss one of the GFA 555 II's out there to run them. Main system is currently evolving- going to try Crown Pro Audio stuff and see where that takes me..

But the Cornwalls were so enjoyable that I went on a Klipsch kick for a minute. Bought and tried Forte I's, II's and am still looking for Chorus II's.

You might consider adding a set of Heresy 1s to your list if you haven't experienced them already. IMO they're tighter and more responsive than the Cornwalls. Not much good below 50Hz so you'll need a separate sub if you like the low boom, but the mids and highs are incredible even with a minimal amp. I'm running them on an old Denon DRA-275R 40Wx2 receiver that I bought used on eBay years ago for $50 and the way they sound you would think they're getting five times that power.

I've actually never seen those Adcom GFA-555s before, those look really cool. I've been thinking of upgrading to a more powerful amp with a separate pre-amp, I may have to look into them further.

EDIT - If you do get some Heresys or you're looking to improve your Cornwalls, Crites Speakers makes/made some great crossovers. My original Heresy crossovers were in seemingly good shape visually so I wasn't expecting a big difference, boy I was wrong. It made such a difference that my dad bought a set for his Heresys he's had new since '71. I just checked the website and it appears that Bob Crites unfortunately has passed away, hopefully someone in the family carries on his business because he made some amazing products.

https://critesspeakers.com/

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You might consider adding a set of Heresy 1s to your list if you haven't experienced them already. IMO they're tighter and more responsive than the Cornwalls. Not much good below 50Hz so you'll need a separate sub if you like the low boom, but the mids and highs are incredible even with a minimal amp. I'm running them on an old Denon DRA-275R 40Wx2 receiver that I bought used on eBay years ago for $50 and the way they sound you would think they're getting five times that power.

I've actually never seen those Adcom GFA-555s before, those look really cool. I've been thinking of upgrading to a more powerful amp with a separate pre-amp, I may have to look into them further.

EDIT - If you do get some Heresys or you're looking to improve your Cornwalls, Crites Speakers makes/made some great crossovers. My original Heresy crossovers were in seemingly good shape visually so I wasn't expecting a big difference, boy I was wrong. It made such a difference that my dad bought a set for his Heresys he's had new since '71. I just checked the website and it appears that Bob Crites unfortunately has passed away, hopefully someone in the family carries on his business because he made some amazing products.

https://critesspeakers.com/

I upgraded the Cornholes to Crite's B-2 crossover and yeah, that did make a difference. They're both warmer and sweeter. Shame he died though, that's gotta be recent, wonder how..

Have you ever listened to a Forte or Forte II? A Forte I is essentially what I like to call a Heresy with bass. If you look at a frequency response of a Heresy, they start to roll off before 50hz, closer to 100 from what I've come across. Just has what they like to call "usable down to.." not to mention the "+/- 5dB" response from 50 to 17khz isn't great.. But aside from the woofer & throat for the mid horn, they've got the same components as a Cornhole; K77 Tweeter and K55V mid. My impression of the Forte series is that I thought the I sounded good until I heard the II. The II really revealed how "tin can" like the sound was from the mid on a I, also much narrower sound from the I whereas the bigger throat on the II helped open the sound up quite a bit. The other thing I liked was that the Forte series already comes with risers and they sit approx at ear height. I'm a floor stander guy, feel if you've got the footprint you might as well. Forte II > Cornwall in my book as tweeter and mid are much more refined. But the tweeter doesn't give you the articulation or detail in the music like you'll hear with a set of JBL L150A's. If you want even more, step to a XPL200/A. Both can be had for fairly reasonable amounts of scratch compared to what they were new and other vintage speakers.

I tried integrating a few subs into my listening system and was just underwhelmed. They each had a slightly different signature than the main speakers, so no matter what I did I could always tell when they were firing. Plus, they responded too low. I pretty much only need extension down to 35hz. Anything lower (IMO) is for movies and the boom boom crowd, not so much musical as it is for effect. The JBL L150A's give me that extension. So both M&K 350THX subs went downstairs for home theater duty. They sound pretty good down there- the JBL Northridge stuff I've got is rather muddy and flabby in the lower bass region. Soon to be departing..

The Adcom is a bruiser of an amp. The original 555 is a Nelson Pass design, yet I'd recommend going with the 555-II which boasts some internal improvements like thermal protection, a better power switch and main board. What people rag on them for is their lack of a speaker output relay- so you'll get a thump (mine don't, but the woofers do move a little when switched on) and most likely static sounding pops when you shut it off, as the capacitors bleed down. Hasn't hurt any of my gear and I'm not worried about it. You can't beat the sound per dollar factor of them. Much better than many amps two or three times their price. Another amp to try would be a Carver TFM 35x or 55x. I've got a 55x and it sounds better than the Adcom in every category, although it's not landslide difference. Slightly cleaner, more detail and tighter bass. Although it's not a high current amplifier and has dinky caps compared to the Adcom. Also doesn't have clip lights and that's a bummer- meters just don't respond fast enough. But when driving something efficient like a Klipsch, that'll probably never be an issue.

As for the GFP 555, you'll want to have it completely recapped if you go with one. My initial impression of the one I bought left me wanting more when compared to the incumbent Marantz 3600- so I'm having it's caps replaced to see if that makes a difference with it. Out of the box, the bass was tighter and more present with the Adcom, so I'm hoping the mids & treble will relax and open up. The mainboard and layout of all components within look serious..

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you ever listened to a Forte or Forte II?

I have not, I'll have to check them out one of these days.

And thanks again for the info on the Adcoms, I did a little more digging and found that they also made a 545-II which looks nearly identical except half the power, 100Wx2. That would be a perfect match for my Heresys and it looks like they can be had for around $2-300!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I have not, I'll have to check them out one of these days.

And thanks again for the info on the Adcoms, I did a little more digging and found that they also made a 545-II which looks nearly identical except half the power, 100Wx2. That would be a perfect match for my Heresys and it looks like they can be had for around $2-300!

Do it fast, for some reason prices are going up on the Forte line.

Trust me my man, go for the 555 II. The 545 isn't Pass's design and you're far more likely to damage stuff with too little power than too much. You actually want it for for those transient peaks and stuff. I fed the Cornwalls 300wpc with that 510M, they loved and drank every watt...

Last edited:

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I upgraded the Cornholes to Crite's B-2 crossover and yeah, that did make a difference. They're both warmer and sweeter. Shame he died though, that's gotta be recent, wonder how..

Have you ever listened to a Forte or Forte II? A Forte I is essentially what I like to call a Heresy with bass. If you look at a frequency response of a Heresy, they start to roll off before 50hz, closer to 100 from what I've come across. Just has what they like to call "usable down to.." not to mention the "+/- 5dB" response from 50 to 17khz isn't great.. But aside from the woofer & throat for the mid horn, they've got the same components as a Cornhole; K77 Tweeter and K55V mid. My impression of the Forte series is that I thought the I sounded good until I heard the II. The II really revealed how "tin can" like the sound was from the mid on a I, also much narrower sound from the I whereas the bigger throat on the II helped open the sound up quite a bit. The other thing I liked was that the Forte series already comes with risers and they sit approx at ear height. I'm a floor stander guy, feel if you've got the footprint you might as well. Forte II > Cornwall in my book as tweeter and mid are much more refined. But the tweeter doesn't give you the articulation or detail in the music like you'll hear with a set of JBL L150A's. If you want even more, step to a XPL200/A. Both can be had for fairly reasonable amounts of scratch compared to what they were new and other vintage speakers.

I tried integrating a few subs into my listening system and was just underwhelmed. They each had a slightly different signature than the main speakers, so no matter what I did I could always tell when they were firing. Plus, they responded too low. I pretty much only need extension down to 35hz. Anything lower (IMO) is for movies and the boom boom crowd, not so much musical as it is for effect. The JBL L150A's give me that extension. So both M&K 350THX subs went downstairs for home theater duty. They sound pretty good down there- the JBL Northridge stuff I've got is rather muddy and flabby in the lower bass region. Soon to be departing..

The Adcom is a bruiser of an amp. The original 555 is a Nelson Pass design, yet I'd recommend going with the 555-II which boasts some internal improvements like thermal protection, a better power switch and main board. What people rag on them for is their lack of a speaker output relay- so you'll get a thump (mine don't, but the woofers do move a little when switched on) and most likely static sounding pops when you shut it off, as the capacitors bleed down. Hasn't hurt any of my gear and I'm not worried about it. You can't beat the sound per dollar factor of them. Much better than many amps two or three times their price. Another amp to try would be a Carver TFM 35x or 55x. I've got a 55x and it sounds better than the Adcom in every category, although it's not landslide difference. Slightly cleaner, more detail and tighter bass. Although it's not a high current amplifier and has dinky caps compared to the Adcom. Also doesn't have clip lights and that's a bummer- meters just don't respond fast enough. But when driving something efficient like a Klipsch, that'll probably never be an issue.

As for the GFP 555, you'll want to have it completely recapped if you go with one. My initial impression of the one I bought left me wanting more when compared to the incumbent Marantz 3600- so I'm having it's caps replaced to see if that makes a difference with it. Out of the box, the bass was tighter and more present with the Adcom, so I'm hoping the mids & treble will relax and open up. The mainboard and layout of all components within look serious..
My buddies dad had more klipshe speakers than I can count, we had four forte 2s in our shop on a Yamaha pre amp and a denon amp , think they were forte 2, had the rear fire 15 which was passive I think... And front fire 15 maybe? Been years ago now...best set u ever heard were klipsche shaped like home based when looked at from top, backs were open and a huge speaker in the front and a massive horn tweeter, was designed to sit in the corner tho, just amazing sound on an old pioneer tube amp/receiver.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Sounds like the Klipschorn, the backs open like that.

Fortes are 12" with a 15" passive. Chorus are a 15" main with a 18" passive, really want to get my hands on a set of Chorus II's.. I'm kind of partial to the signature of a passive radiator, you can add mass to tune the resonant frequency lower or vice versa. What I've learned about old stuff is just that, old but not obsolete. Tune that stuff up and it'll rock better than it did when new.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My buddies dad had more klipshe speakers than I can count, we had four forte 2s in our shop on a Yamaha pre amp and a denon amp , think they were forte 2, had the rear fire 15 which was passive I think... And front fire 15 maybe? Been years ago now...best set u ever heard were klipsche shaped like home based when looked at from top, backs were open and a huge speaker in the front and a massive horn tweeter, was designed to sit in the corner tho, just amazing sound on an old pioneer tube amp/receiver.

Klipschorns! Those things are awesome. If I ever upgrade from my Heresys I want to get a set of LaScalas, which are basically baby Klipschorns in a standard rectangular enclosure that doesn't need to be in a corner.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Y'all making me feel like my BSR 5-ways aren't really all that :rofl: ... I can shake my walls with their 15" actives, and the two tweeter horns will give you a headache, but I think they're rated for maybe 25 watts? Lol

Sadly the 4" and 6" drivers on them have no outer suspension, as I haven't gotten around to redoing them.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Try the older stuff, hear music as it was meant to be heard, not exaggerated or flabby. I'm tired of looking at typical tower speakers with their twin 8" or whatever woofers. Since "music" isn't really what it was in the 60's through early 90's, I don't have much faith in modern speaker design.. And since no place around me really exists to listen before I buy, I'm not likely to try anything new either. As soon as I get around to it, I'll be installing the new crossovers for my L150A's and then determining what stays in the listening room vs what replaces the crappy E90's and stuff downstairs.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Klipschorns! Those things are awesome. If I ever upgrade from my Heresys I want to get a set of LaScalas, which are basically baby Klipschorns in a standard rectangular enclosure that doesn't need to be in a corner.
Yeah they were just beautiful sounding! Nothing like a tube amp, mit wire,and sum natural sounding klipsch speakers...all this compressed music in digital **** is just that, ****! That's why I go thru so many different speakers in my truck, I want it to sound like I want it to sound. Albiet 1000 watts on an active 2 way is over kill, my truck sounds amazing, nd I try and only use flac file songs so they r lossless.