wanting to build a fuel injected 350 vortec to around 325 hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500. I have a core vortec motor that I'm gonna have a basic lower end .30 over rebuild done on. I want to know if I can achieve a little over 300hp with out a bigger cam. I plan on using the 906 vortec heads and vortec fuel injection, stainless headers, programmer, upgraded ignition. So are those numbers possible without a cam upgrade???

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO. I beleive its possible to produce 300 with your setup but without the cam its hard and unefficent in my opinion.

Reaction score
Ya I'm just trying to figure out what other guys have done to see what will work for me. I understand that you have to change the valve springs and do some other work to the heads but what else do I have to upgrade or change? The computer the fuel injection?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
To run an aftermarket cam with lift over about .470, you will need new valve springs, and either have the valve guides machined down for clearance or use comp 787 retainers. You will also definitely need a computer tune for the truck to run right

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You gain get great gains for exhaust. Long tubes and high flow cats x or y pipe and a good set of mufflers

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
In short, no. A well tuned vortec with a few mods might put down 250hp to the wheels. (yes, they were rated for 255 or something but that was extraordinarily generous from GM)

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The more you can make that engine breathe and exhale the more power you will get out of it. If you are already starting off with a short block, might as well throw a cam in it. This will be your biggest gain in power once tuned.

On the intake side I'd replace the poppets with the redesigned fuel injectors, put a v-max intake spacer on the truck to make the intake breathe a bit better, a bigger cam (Comp Cams makes quite a few good truck cams), and do the required head work to support the cam.

On the exhaust side, long tube headers, bigger piping, and free flowing exhaust with the catalytic converters.

A 411 ECU swap with a tune will tie it all together, make it run right, and get most power out of the setup. Figure about 25% drivetrain loss on a 4x4 and I think you can get the engine up to about 230-250 WHP safely.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
^ dropped done good knowledge!
If I could REP from the app I would've ;)
Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5