Want your DRAC/VSSB modified, read on......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I've been getting inquiries about modifying a DRAC/VSSB for adjustability with DIP switches for quick and easy recalibration for tire and gearing changes.

It's really quite simple to do, here's a decent page on it:

http://www.tbichips.com/drac/

But it appears many just don't have the confidence to do it themselves.

So, if you want it modified I'll do it for you for free.

Now, before you start tearing your dash apart and buying stamps, there are some conditions:

1. You pay shipping here and back (well d'uh, right? :rofl: )

2. You provide the DRAC/VSSB. I recommend you grab one at a scrap yard, it may take a while to get it back to you. Lots of stuff will not work right in your truck if you run without one. Make sure you get the right model!

3. You buy the DIP switches. If you buy in bulk and have no use for them feel free to throw them all in the package and I might be able to pay it forward to someone else who is not quite as savvy a scrounger.

4. They will not come 'calibrated" to your truck. It's simple enough though. Just follow the instructions in the TBIChips link and get 'er done.

5. These are modified without any offer of warranty. If it gets lost in shipping or doesn't work then it's your dime. It will come back in whatever container you ship it to me in via whatever shipping means that you pay for. While they are not overly sensitive components, an "antistatic" bag would be a good idea if you can get one.

Note: crossborder shipping via UPS, FEDEX or any other private carrier will probably have to be rejected when it gets here (I'm in Canada) as they will try to ding me with 20-30 dollar brokerage fees and then try to charge me 5 bucks for COD on top of that. Scammers...

As I said, this is "no charge" but if you feel like chucking in 5 or 10 bucks to help pay for some electricity, solder or my time I'm not going to say no. Completely up to you though.

:)

I don't modify internal DRAC units in the clusters (first few years of GMT400 production). Besides, shipping would be horrendous on a whole cluster.

The years this is applicable is 90-95 Gassers and all years 6.5 diesel right up to 2001.

96+ OBDII gassers are SOL as they process the VSS signal in the PCM and need to be reprogrammed. No DRAC/VSSB to mess with. You'll need to buy something like EFILive or find a "tuner" to do it for you.

Here's the years differences:

DRAC (1990-1991) stock

You must be registered for see images

modified

VSSB (1992-1995) stock

modified

All those images came from TBIChips.com

Diesels can have either or in my experience, although later years seem to be almost exclusively VSSB, same deal with DRAC for very early years.

Here's a couple quick pics on removing a DRAC/VSSB (borrowed from diesel place.com):

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Note:

I will be away on vacation until end of August.

I won't be around to receive or modify them after mid july.

But that will just give you time to hunt up the right DRAC/VSSB and order some DIP switches......