Vortec heads and TBI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I’m probably going to get blasted for parts of my build, but I will share it anyway.

The truck: 1994 ECSB Z71 5 speed

The new engine: .040 350, 906 vortec heads, mellings mtc-1 cam specs out at:

intake/exhaust duration @.050 lift 204/214

Intake lift with factory rocker arms: 0.420in

Exhaust lift: 0.433

LSA 112

Shorty ceramic coated headers, EGR delete, new stock style distributor, Taylor wires, AC Delco R45TS plugs, tuned by fastchip from Tulsa Oklahoma. Idle set at 800 rpm, every TBI mod possible.

Never been on a dyno, but good grief this sucker pulls hard all the way to 4500 rpm (cam limited). Whatever the output is, has certainly caused multiple damage issues to the transmission and rear axle. First transmission was the factory one with 278k, but it took out two rebuilds afterwards. The 10 bolt gave up living too at 288k, not that’s any surprise there.

Upgrades to the drivetrain included a NV4500 transmission with a ceramic clutch, and a SF14 bolt rear.

Engine temperature is 195 degrees via thermostat or less, electric fans assist in cooling.

No issues with anything other than breaking stuff. 12 to 16 mpg depends on my foot feed :D.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been on a dyno, but good grief this sucker pulls hard all the way to 4500 rpm (cam limited).

We have similar builds - try some data logging and tuning, you'll be able to break more stuff easier. One question I have is your choice of the R45TS plugs, that's pretty hot. Are you getting spark knock? I went from R44LTS (long reach for my aluminum heads) to R42LTS to help reduce KCs and still had to reduce timing at 4,000 - 4,800 range. You can take a look at the plugs under a 5-10x lens to see if you do.

https://www.dynamicefi.com/SparkPlug.php

Reaction score
In my personal experience the heads make a noticable difference. I swapped them in a truck with a tired motor and it made a difference. Later i went with a l31 long block. The l31 stock motor didnt have timing marks so we set it manually. I ran the heads and the whole motor as well with no real issues. No tuning or chips either. If you want the egr to work properly you will need to drill and tap the driver manifold and pipe it to the intake. Putting a l31 motor with the tbi intake would probably yeild as much power as a supercharger. I also noticed a mpg bump.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
You know you "dun good" when you start breaking everything behind the engine. lol

Yeah, a clutch dump took care of the first one. Brrrrrraaaaaapp..... booooom.... well fxxx!!!! :nono:
The second one was a slider sideways into second, shifted to third just fine, a few miles down the road it wouldn’t downshift into second. That was a warranty replacement and found out the 1-2 shift rail was badly damaged and it had damaged bearings in third and fourth.

The third one made it eight months before I heard third gear whining again, so I gave up and swapped in the NV4500.

The warranty department at smart parts asked what I had for a motor, and so I laid out the details. I asked what kind of power they can hold on the NV3500, they connected me with a builder and I relayed the same details, and he said had I known that in the beginning I would have told you to get the NV4500 from the beginning. Evidently, the NV3500 isn’t worth much more than 330ft lbs of torque, whereas the NV4500 started at 450 ft lbs.

Before that could happen the 10 bolt needed to find a new home away from my framerails. The first locker in my sf14 broke at the first corner from my house. I don’t have any kind words for powertrax lockers of the spring loaded kind.

It sure sucks when you have a ton of power and only one wheel going. I was ever grateful to get my trutrac installed.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
We have similar builds - try some data logging and tuning, you'll be able to break more stuff easier. One question I have is your choice of the R45TS plugs, that's pretty hot. Are you getting spark knock? I went from R44LTS (long reach for my aluminum heads) to R42LTS to help reduce KCs and still had to reduce timing at 4,000 - 4,800 range. You can take a look at the plugs under a 5-10x lens to see if you do.

https://www.dynamicefi.com/SparkPlug.php

Plug choice was the engine builders recommendation, and maybe it’s 44 not 45.
You know I’m such a bad owner, that I haven’t pulled the plugs out since the install almost 30k miles ago. Octane knock is all I’ve heard in too low of an rpm uphill. It goes away after downshifting to the correct gear.

I am probably going to go in a completely different direction with the rest of my build in the form of creating my own CCSB. If I do that I may look into the 6.0LS for a motor.

I say that because I’m just not sure what else is left to do with mine. Sure I could go stroker with better heads, but would that truly be better than the LS on power?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you say T56 and Dana 60? Un huh I thought you could. Or learn how to feed the clutch to it?

sparky

Reaction score
i have 1999 closed chamber 279 heads on my 1993 tbi 454 stock 91 ecm 4l80e 14 bolt with 373 gears does not have a working egr edelbrock tbi intake and i can cruise all day for 30 canadian bucks in 104 fuel

Reaction score
I hear ya. But would it be wrong to say that it helps at part throttle loads, cooling the combustion temperature allowing it to run more advance at a leaner mixture? If you don’t run egr you have to run a little more rich and less advance at light loads/part throttle. And in doing so it also would make the cats work harder? Or am I thinking about it all wrong? I’m sure you have more experience than I so feel free to put me in my place. [emoji846]
Cats.....lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk