Vortec, Duramax swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was just informed today that my 97 Chevrolet Vortec 454 7.4L Dually has an Allison Transmission, which I was not aware of I guess the previous owner had it put in, but I was wondering how hard are the Duramax Vortec swaps? As I have some one who wants to trade me a Duramax motor for my Vortec which I think I will pass the offer up as I am happy with my truck with the motor it has and it's a daily driver so I can't have it parted to do the swap for a week or so like it seems to take. Just wondering thanks.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
If someone swapped an allison transmission in your truck behind a 454, that would have been a decent feat in itself. I'm curious what it looks like beneath, i think you need a body lift to clear the transmission in a GMT400 chassis.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I highly doubt that there's an Allison in it I'm guessing somone is misinformed. And you're also not going to do a dmax swap in a week

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I highly doubt that there's an Allison in it I'm guessing somone is misinformed. And you're also not going to do a dmax swap in a week

I second this. My $ says its a 4l80. Easy way to tell. Does it have a spin on filter?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
secondly a duramax for a vortec 7.4L? mustve had a tuner and now has no ring lands, turn down for what..............ringlands, turn down for ringlands

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I'm betting someone was misinformed. The allison was a option on the 8.1 liter, but i would be shocked if someone converted your Vortec 454 to an allison. The computer and trans wiring would have had to have been heavily modified. Becuase it wouldn't be a plug n play by any stretch. The computer would have to know how to shift a 6 speed, rather than a 4 speed, and i don't even know if you could run a Allison off the stock computer, it would likely have it's own stand alone controller.

side note if you are really wanting to convert from a Duramax, you would probably be best off getting a parts truck and swapping everything over, wiring and all.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
#1 helpful response to OP: quit listening to people that don't know what they're talking about. :)

Richard