Vortec 5.7l oil consumption.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I held back replying to this as there was something I wanted to check on the truck first.

Any or all of the things you mentioned.

The first thing to check is the PCV system. Oil in the hoses?

While I was there I checked the PCV. Clean as can be. PCV valve is a new one and on the passenger side the inside of the plastic tube is dry and clean. More anon on this though.

How old are the valve stem seals? Easy enough to replace, and not horribly expensive. While the springs are off, wiggle the valve stems in the guides (don't drop a valve!) If the guides are wiped, you know to pull the heads for valve work.

Original presumably. As per previous post, change of manifold gaskets pending and will take the opportunity to look as best I can at stem seals etc.

What I was checking was - I was curious to see if there was a leak between crankcase and inlet manifold that would show as vacuum in the crankcase. Sealed off the driver side PCV and via the passenger side after raising the rpm to circa 4000rpm and dropping the throttle, there was nothing in the way of vacuum. Had there been I'd have taken it as confirmation of a leak twixt crankcase and manifold. The lack of vacuum though is not proof that there is no leak.
With the driver side PCV sealed off there was some visible vapour emerging from the passenger side tube but not enough to create pressure. On re-connecting driver side PCV it ceased.
Whether it is at a scale that is indication ring blow-by worse that could reasonably expected is hard to say. Perhaps other can advise... (The engine was at operating temp after a brief run prior during the above).

Warm the engine, pull the plugs, squirt two ounces of "Top Engine Cleaner" into the cylinders. Turn the crank a full revolution (plugs OUT), then let the stuff soak the rings overnight. Next day, crank the engine to assure no hydro-lock, put the plugs back in, fire the engine, warm it up, and repeat.

All of this is useless if the rings are actually damaged, cylinders scored, etc. But it takes care of the simple issues.

This particular rabbit hole is one I've been down with my smart (all Suprex engines suffer oil control ring failure around 50-60,000 miles. Mine got to 75,000 before they caused burned exhaust valves on two cylinders). I tried all sorts (before valve failure) but re-ringing was the only cure. I honed the bores though it's not strictly necessary.
If rings are the problem on my Vortec - replacing them will be the route I'll go. In any case I don't believe they are gummed - inside the crankcase is spotlessly clean. Nor worn - hone marks still visible on the bores and very low mileage. Damage caused by the crankcase explosion is a possibility I can't exclude though.
Is a Vortec oil pan drain plug magnetic? (It's on my mind to pull the oil from the top and pull the plug to see if there's any ring fragments. If there are, there's little point in rushing to change the inlet manifold gaskets).
To put the crankcase explosion in some kind of context - it ruptured the timing cover but didn't displace the rear crank seal. There's scope there to have displaced inlet manifold gaskets and/or stem seals or possibly even cracked the manifold floor. Enough to damage oil control ring(s)?